1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help - a child who won't communicate

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by susbo, Aug 9, 2011.

1. susbo

susbo New commenter

Hi
    In September I have a child starting my reception class who won't communicate with anyone. She communicates at home with her parents and older siblings and according to mum she has only recently started speaking to her grandparents. When I visited her at pre-school she hadn't spoken to adults or children since she started; she also sits in one place and doesn't move around the room, they have to take her hand and move her. She doesn't join in with any self chosen or adult led activity. On her transition visits to school she was silent and sat in once place - it was an impossible struggle to get her interested in anything. Today I saw her in the supermarket she was running around and speaking loudly. When she returned to mum and saw me, she shut up and hid behind her. Has anyone got any brilliant ideas how I can begin to gain her confidence and encourage/coax her to talk and become interested in something in fact in ANYTHING! Mum is aware of the dilema but is not worried by it! Obviously I have spoken to the SENCo but in the meantime I can't just leave her sitting in her silent world.
    I have not experienced this before and am hoping that someone out there has, or someone who can offer some thoughts.
    Thank you
    A concerned SB!

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Don't pressurise her to talk. If she's sitting somewhere join her with a book or a toy or other object and chat to her about the book or object. It will be one sided but don't worry. When she feels comfortable she will talk.
    I remember one little boy who hadn't spoken at all in 5 terms of nursery! He started reception refusing to talk and suddenly one day he shouted across the room "I lud you Mrs S" [​IMG] after that there was no stopping him!

3. susbo

susbo New commenter

Thank you all so much, your help with ideas and web sites have been really great. Thank you.
    SB