1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Help: a boy from Brazil, moving to the UK...

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by nixmith, Jul 25, 2018.

  1. nixmith

    nixmith Established commenter

    My friend has a young son - he was born in England, but as a toddler the mother (Brazilian lady) moved back to Brazil, with the lad.

    Recently, the woman in question has decided to come back to the UK with my friend's son. This is good news, but he is having some issues with the paperwork and the rights associated with the prospective move. He and the Brazilian lady were not married, but they lived together for several years, in England.

    The advice on the consulate website talks about Brazilian children visiting the UK, but in this case, is the boy not actually British by virtue of being born in England? Can he not just come on his passport and if a letter of authority from the Brazil consulate is needed, can that be done by post or e-mail? My friend wishes to avoid a trip to London if possible, but at present thinks he has to sign a letter of authority in the presence of consulate staff, as witnesses???!

    Finally, my friend has one concern: he knows that he does not earn enough to bring over a foreign 'mail-order-bride' for want of a better phrase! But in this case, because of the child, do those salary rules apply.

    A weird post I know, but if anyone has any knowledge of this sort of thing, a response would be much appreciated.
  2. Rott Weiler

    Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

    Nationality and citizenship law is very complicated and I've no idea the answer to your question. I do know that that it is at least 50 years since being born here automatically meant you were a British Citizen.

    I'd have thought there were more expert websites than TES to deal with immigration questions, but maybe someone here will know.
  3. frustum

    frustum Star commenter

    How old is the boy now? If he was born before July 2006, then he wouldn't have got British citizenship from his father if they weren't married.
  4. nixmith

    nixmith Established commenter

    He is 8 so this shouldn't apply, thanks for the input, I should have mentioned the boys age earlier.

    Yesterday we sent an email to the Brazil consulate to ask their advice and the result shows that we are on the right track. My friend really wants to avoid a trip to the smoke, especially in this heat and he might be able to avoid that. However, the consulate said as they don't have his signature on file, the options are: to go to the Consulate in person or to have your signature recognised by a public notary and then legalised by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO).

    Can anyone smarter than us explain this underlined bit? Could this be done at the local mayors office in one of the big northern towns? We are close to Leeds and Manchester...

    Any advice? again, much appreciated.
  5. sparkleghirl

    sparkleghirl Star commenter

    Google for a notary near you. They should be able to help you with the legalizing bit as well. Basically the notary confirms it's genuine,the FCO authorises it so that it can then be accepted by the foreign embassy.

    Ask on overseas forum if in doubt, teachers going abroad often need to get certificates and so on notarised and legalized so will be familiar with the process.

    You will have to pay a notary but depending where you are it might be cheaper than a return fare to London anyway and certainly easier.
  6. frangipani123

    frangipani123 Lead commenter

    I don't know about the scenario you describe but I have used a notary twice when I needed to access pension in Australia. They are usually lawyers who have then taken a further course to become a notary, and in my case she charged £100 to validate a photocopy of my passport with her signature, her notary number and her seal.

    As said above, Google notary public and your location.

Share This Page