1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HELP 30min lesson observation!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by PavB, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Dear all
    I am stuck for ideas. I need an idea for a 30min lesson on the theme night and day. It has to be literacy based and inspirational for a year 2 class. They don't expect an outcome of a full lesson or have chd to to have produced any work as such! But they want all children actively engaged. I have thought of books such as the Owl who is afraid of the dark but it doesn't seem to hit the criteria of inspirational! Any ideas would be great!
    Thanks
    Pav

2. For an interview I'm guessing.
    What is your learning objective? What ideas do you have?

3. hey thanks for the response
    Ideas - Get some props (police hat, toy hedgehog, hamster, toy fire truck etc) together in some kind of special box, maybe decorate it or something so that it looks exciting, blindfold one child and ask them to choose one of the props, while the rest of the class try describe it to the blindfolded child, who has to then guess what it is?
    And then divide class into small groups and give them each a picture card (fireman, policeman, owl, hedgehog etc) and give them 5-10 minutes to think of 4 sentences to describe their picture without giving it away.
    OR look at opposites as a quick game tall-short, hot-cold, light-dark, night-day in different ability groups. Tell cdn to focus on day and night. what do we do at night-sleep. Who is awake at night? police, doctors, nocturnal animals and introduce Plop as the owl afraid of the dark and get chd to write why they are afraid using an connective.
    Ideas but not that exciting!

4. marlin

marlin Star commenter

What about using the poem In the dark dark wood for a first activity - guess what's in the box? - before you tell them the end of the poem etc. Lots of other ideas on the 'net or in TES resources for activities with this poem. Create an opposites poem with suggestions from the children ... In the light, light ... What would be in the box at the end of that poem?
    In a dark, dark wood, there was a dark, dark house,
    And in that dark, dark house, there was a dark, dark room,
    And in that dark, dark room, there was a dark, dark cupboard,
    And in that dark, dark cupboard, there was a dark, dark shelf,
    And in that dark, dark shelf, there was a dark, dark box,
    And in that dark, dark box, there was a GHOST!

5. ahh thank you I will look into the poem and the resources. I can play with that idea thank you
    Oh and it is an interview lesson observation and I have no idea what my objective is yet!

6. Start with your learning objective and then work from there.