1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help! 30 children starting September

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Leapyearbaby64, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

I've done this for the first time this year, and think it works much better than 3 points of entry. You just have to be very sensitive to the needs of individual children. And I think it's much more about how "ready" children are than their age.

2. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

Don't underestimate them with phonics. You need to see what they are like when they arrive. I did the first few days doing phase 1 type stuff and then went into teaching PGCs very quickly with the whole class together. Most of them picked it up really quickly. And the few that didn't have needed extra help all the way along. Some of my most able readers are the July and August born children. As for starting school, I'd see if you can get an extra pair of hands just in case any of the children are distressed when they are dropped off. But most children will have been in some sort of setting before, so should not be too phased by starting school.