1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HELP - 20mins interview obs lesson

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by sfollant, Mar 14, 2016.

1. sfollant

sfollant New commenter

I found out today that I have a 20min lesson observation for a HoD job very, very soon. This is the shortest interview lesson i've given (I also haven't done one for a few years) and was wondering if anyone had any advice as to what they might expect in that 20 mins?

My initial thoughts were that they just wanted to see if I could actually do what I say I can but I feel that they want more.........

2. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

This is becoming the norm. Just treat it like a mini lesson. 3 parts is good. Don't forget to check progress. But yes they just want to see how you interact with the kids. Don't worry about it.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

What is feasible in a 20-minute lesson?

Very little, is the answer!

I think your only solution is to cut it down as much as possible - have a mini objective, with a tiny starter and a micro plenary, to allow a limited amount of independent work. But also have another lesson plan which shows what you would expect to do in a longer session.

And thrust both plans on your observer.

Have you found all the general interview advice articles? A whole load of them! Tag me @TheoGriff if not and I'll give you the links.

Best wishes

4. sfollant

sfollant New commenter

Thanks yodaami2 and TheoGriff.

I agree, very little is possible.
    TheoGriff - I have been reading your various articles/pointers/suggestions and found them very helpful, thanks.

i have already completed one of the LPs before I read your answer. Will have a look again and see if it's too much and if it needs to be trimmed. I have included future learning to show progression.

It's all been a bit of a whirlwind with the decision to move jobs was forced on me. I'm not sure I want to continue teaching, been having problems with current school. I've been there a while and they want me out, plain and simple!

With a family and getting ever closer to 50 I feel like my options are limited - can't afford a drop in salary is the problem.

Anyway, it might just be the change that's needed.....