1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help! 15 min interview lesson - Yr4 area

Discussion in 'Primary' started by fairykitty, May 13, 2011.

1. I have just been sent the format for my interview for a Yr 5 teaching post on Tuesday. Part of the process is a 15 min lesson for 25 Year 4 chn which should 'focus on developing an understanding of area'.
    Most of them are apparently working at age related expectation though some are working below. That is all the information I have been given and I am scared! Firstly, I have never taught Year 4 and secondly, what on earth can you do in 15 mins???? Then I have no idea if they have been taught area before at all.
    I know the learning objective for Year 4 area is to find the area of rectangles by counting squares but how to teach it and get them to do a differentiated task in 15 mins? Any ideas would be MUCH appreciated!

2. The Red Heron

The Red Heron New commenter

I have to say...Ive seen this kind of post about ten times this week from NQT to DHT jobs. Lets call a spade a spade, if a person has decided to go for another job or a promotion they must feel on the day they are good enough to beat perhaps 4/5 people in every aspect of the interview esp teaching ability surely..
    I then find it quite ironic when those same people appeal on here for somebody to tell them what to do...you want the job, you go figure it out..

3. I think that's a little harsh and unnecessary. I have absolutely no problem with doing my own dirty work. I have been sitting here for the last 4 hours thinking of how to teach this subject in 15 mins which is the tricky part. I am a perfectly capable teacher, but having never taught Year 4, not knowing anything really about the class AND having such a tight time constraint, I am finding it hard to get my head around.
    If you feel I am being lazy fair enough, but I asked for advice, not to be slated.

4. The Red Heron

Couldnt care what you asked for- just sick of seeing these threads by people who think theyre good enough to get another job in another school and then have no ideas of their own

5. I sincerely hope you don't put the children in your class down in this manner. Any helpful replies would be great!

6. The Red Heron

No I dont, mainly because theyre children-you are a fully grown adult who on the day will say to your new boss 'oh yes, I was very pleased with my lesson, my ideas were fab' (unless youre planning on telling the interview panel you nicked a load of ideas off people on tes and in that case I apologise)
    Just get so sick in education of other people taking others hard work and ideas and passing them off as their own-its plain wrong and dishonest.

7. I understand what you mean if people cannot be bothered, this place is their first port of call and they want a full lesson plan with resources. However, I think every teacher has used someone else's ideas at some point, many for observation lessons and I do believe in sharing good practice regularly contributing things to Primary Resources.
    I have thought of ideas for myself - creating a classroom/playground according to area of different equipment, sticking 1cm coloured squares innto different sized rectangles for lower ability, drawing shapes with different areas etc... but I keep coming back to the 15 minute thing. That's what's throwing me.
    I'm sorry you feel that I am trying to 'nick' ideas but being someone who is more than happy to share their own, I didn't think it would be a problem to ask for advice which I could then adapt myself.

8. Maybe for one of the groups you could give them 4 meter sticks and ask them to find the area of the corridor outside the classroom/ another room, maybe working with a TA and giving the chn some problem solving experience. You could manybe give them some masking tape to mark out the areas. But I agree that 15mins isn't that long so maybe thats too ambitious.
    I would suggest that 15mins is about the time for a carpet session once you've got them settled so maybe something active that can be done together on the carpet.
    I dont teach year 4 though so am not sure how good an idea this is.
    B

9. Thanks Clare Bear! Still stuck on this damn lesson - just can't think of an exciting way to teach it!

10. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

But can you think of an effective way to teach it? That's what the observer/headteacher is looking for and s/he wants to be confident that what s/he is observing is what s/he might reasonably expect to get if you are appointed. The best maths teacher I've ever known wasn't in the least 'exciting' in terms of razzle-dazzle activities - but my goodness, her classes showed distinct progress in each and every lesson because her methods were effective.
    After the lesson, it's almost certain you'll be asked to deconstruct what you did and why you did it. You need to be confident in your own planning - and the best way is to make choices from your own 'arsenal' of teaching methodologies which you adapt to the specific situation.

11. Make sure that you share your LO with the children at the start. Don't worry about an Mental Starter - you won't have time. Maybe give the kids multi-link to make shapes with different areas? Like tetris? Think about AFL questions, e.g. Can you explain how you know that this shape is 12cm squared? Who can show me a shape with 8cm squared? What is the area of this shape? Look at irregular shapes other than quadrilaterals and discuss methods of working out area. Chn could work out answers on whiteboards or use talk partners. 15 mins will fly by but the children need to show that they have learnt something so AFL questions could come at the end. HA chn could be extended by looking at the array of squares in a quadrilateral and compare it to a multiplication calculation.

12. Ooh, another key question? Which of these shapes have an area of..... cm squared? Give them a variety.

13. What a great idea to use multilink Clare Bear! Thank you! Thought I might start by showing a series of people on the IWB who are doing different things like redecorating their bedroom, designing a playground, fitting a new classroom etc... to show real life application of area.