1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hello!

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by jikanmyshkin, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Hi there!

I am new here and was just wanting to say hi!

I am currently looking to get into Primary Teaching but am having problems at the moment getting the inital classroom experience. As the town in which I live is small but vastly over populated I was wondering if any advice could be given? One of my careers advisors (I have two!) suggested that I come straight to the source and ask teachers themselves for advice! Who'd have thought it?!

Also as everyone is diverse and I am recently learning that there are no set ways to do things I was wondering how each of your stories started to become the teachers that you are now and also if anyone is in the same position as me trying to get blood out of a stone that, due to government cuts and over saturation for every unpaid job/placement going, would probably turn out to be an easier thing to do!

Thanks terribly and hello, once more!

2. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

Hiya!

I would suggest that you go direct to schools and ask them if you can spend a little time with them. You will probably need a DBS check but your careers advisor should be able to point you in the right direction for that. You will need to visit several schools I would think as they may have other people needing similar experience.
    I did experience in schools before my degree, organised by my sixth form. Then I did BEd, but i'm not sure if they do a BEd now!!!

Good luck - its rewarding, but very hard work. Think carefully.

3. pcsmush

pcsmush Occasional commenter

Hey there,

I had to work very hard to get experience in schools. I had no contacts already in the system that could help me get a placement. I first got a part-time job working at Kumon/First Class Learning tuition services which gave me my initial experience of teaching (tutoring) children.

I emailed every school in the four Boroughs closest to where I lived at the time (I also phoned them all). Only one school got back to me and basically they only contacted me because they thought I could lead the Year 6 children in First Aid sessions.

After the placement ended at the school, I then applied for a LSA job, where I worked on 1:1 basis with SEN children. Whilst at the school, I applied and got onto a PGCE course and that was that. :p

So basically my advice is to be very tenacious. :p