1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hello

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by Moksha75, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Hello. I am a 38 year old man who is interested in working in private tutoring of some kind, though I have no teaching qualifications or experience. I own a car, so I would be able to travel. I have a BA in English Literature and Modern History from Essex University (2:1), plus an MA from Essex in Literature (with merit) and a second MA from Kingston in the arts and social sciences. I didn't go into formal teaching as I have slight social anxiety and couldn't face standing in front of a large class. But I thought that personal, 1 to 1 (or small group) teaching might be easier. I feel I could offer quite a lot to a student of GCSE and A level English or History. I'm very poor at maths and science and wouldn't feel confident enough to teach them. However, though I have no formal qualifications in the language, I can read books in French.

I have a few questions and would be very grateful for any advice:

- How should I advertise? I live in Colchester (in north Essex) if that makes any difference.

- Is it best to join some kind of organization/ agency? Or is it better to work for yourself?

- I am pretty naïve with regards to tax and insurance.

I suppose I'd just like some general advice and tips on getting started. How do I go about familiarizing myself with the syllabus? What should I charge? Is there a training course in private tutoring?

Also, I'd love to hear about how others began and what your first sessions were like, especially if you'd never done any teaching before.

Thank you[​IMG]

2. scorpio12

scorpio12 New commenter

Hi Moksha75. Have you thought about going into schools and getting some experience? The syllabus will differ depending on the exam board the student is doing.

Although one to one tutoring is easier on a behavioural level it is still a demanding job. Parents have high expectations and rightly expect progress.

There is no private tutor course that I know of! Tutors use their subject knowledge and teaching experience to construct lessons. Do you feel you have the skills to do this?

Agencies are good if you think you may have difficulty finding work but be aware there is normally a cost involved. Otherwise you could advertise in schools, local publications, notice boards, social media etc. A decent website is a good idea.

Hope this is helpful. Don't mean to sound negative but it seems like you might need to get a bit more experience under your belt.

3. Hi Scorpio, thank you for your advice. Yes, you are quite right about my lack of experience. I feel I'd be an OK teacher though, one to one at least. Like I said in my original post, I suffer with social anxiety which has prevented me from going into formal teaching. But I am quite an empathetic person and fairly good at expressing myself. Maybe I should start by making it clear that I have no teaching experience and charge only a small fee- at least until I've had a few clients?