1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hello.....my name is Belle and I am a...........................

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BelleDuJour, Sep 4, 2011.

1. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

.................carboholic!
    Bet you weren't expecting that eh?!
    The thing is, I keep reading everywhere (and on these boards) about diets and it seems carbs are our bad boys! Well, I love them. Give me bread, pasta, rice, spuds......drool.....and life is worth living.
    Now, as a scientist I can understand from a purely physiological point of view how diets like Atkins (and Dukan for that matter) will help lose weight, but the body is programmed to store carbs and fat regardless. So, once the diet stops and normal eating resumes then wallop.....the weight goes back on.
    I'm also not sure I fancy halitosis and constipation as side effects of low carb/high protein regimes but hey ho, each to his/her own.
    However, it has also been proven that many people lose weight on these, and other extreme regimes, simply because the diet is so restictive aka boring, that they are in fact eating far fewer calories, hence the weight loss.
    Even the Hay diet is really just a way of making one aware of what is going in the mouth and that, together with it being boring, results in fewer calories consumed. There is nothing mystical about separating carbs and proteins, as the body is designed to digest both and is perfectly adapted to maintain perfectc onditions to digest both.
    The 'Cabbage Soup Diet' is nothing more than a bowl of high fibre, low calorie veg soup, guaranteed to whoosh through your digestive tract so quickly nothing will get a chance to be absorbed and deposited as fat! It's probably the best antidote to the constipation of Dukan/Atkins!
    Well, I'm off now to eat a good, balanced diet full of fruit, veg, lean meat and fish and CARBS!!!!
    Yummy!

2. BelleDuJour

jeez....and now I've seen it all!
    In The Sunday Times (Style mag) there's the latest fad. The pH diet. Apparently we're all to eat alkaline foods. 'Scuse me but ***? Most of our food is naturally acidic and the only really alkaine stuff we 'eat' is indigestion medicine like Rennies!
    It gets even worse when it states lemons are acidic but alkaline when digested! This baffles me as all our food is rendered alkaline when neutralised by bile in the duodenum. Utter bollocks!

3. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Carbs are great!
    There is nothing wrong with carbohydrates.
    And some carbohydrates are positively wonderful.
    If you are trying to lose weight...eat more carbs! Yummy baked potatoes, comforting pasta (wholewheat for choice - lovely nutty flavour), granary toast with baked beans (double portion of carbs there...bread and beans!), thick lentil soup, and for a carbie treat - banana baked with a splash of alcohol!
    (If you want to read an excellent book about carbs....read Audrey Eyton - The F2 diet....explains all about how wonderful and weight-loss friendly carbs truly are)
    And, dare I suggest this...we also NEED fat in our diet! OK, so we all accept that slathering toast with butter (drool) and pouring bacon fat over veggies (sloooooooober) and adding milk, cream and butter to rice pudding and scoffing the lot yourself (*creeps away in shame*) is not going to do your weight or general health any favours....but a little fat - the 'good' fats is necessary!
    Let's hear it for balanced diets and give these faddy low/no carb diets a good kick up the behind!

4. HE! HE!

Thank you Belle and Beth will now eat loads of carbs today and enjoy!!

5. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

I LOVE CARBS
    I'm such a carbs junkie. I love pasta, and bread, and potatoes...yummm.
    I personally don't buy into the whole "carbs are the enemy" line followed by many restrictive diets. I understand why some individuals may wish to avoid carbs, owing to how their particular body responds to them; some people tend to bloat etc.
    But for me, they are a low-fat easy way to feel full and lose weight. You just have to be careful that you eat a sensible sized portion - i.e. if you are making tomato-y pasta, don't have a MASSIVE bowl of the stuff: 60g dried weight of pasta, plus sauce, is plenty for an adult.
    Carbs are not the enemy, it's what you have with them. If you add tons of butter to your jacket potato, or your toast, it WILL be bad for you.

6. BelleDuJour

Ah....voices of reason!!!!
    I really do get sooo angry [​IMG] at all these faddy friggin' diets! *** life is too short to be a picky eater.
    Embrace food.... all food.....and enjoy!
    Remeber, there is no such thing as a bad food.....only a bad diet!

7. BelleDuJour

I'm all for that.
    Of course, as it is now pissing down with rain I am looking forward to a carb-fuelled winter, with loads of homemade soups, stew and dumplings and steak and kidney pud!
    Bring it on!!!!!!

8. I love carbs too - especially pasta. Unfortunately I am one of those whose body doesn't like them in any quantity. I don't cut them out of my diet but do restrict my intake. Pasta once a fortnight instead of twice a week for example does help me to lose weight. Pastry and cake very occasionally (before you say anything about coffee cake Belle!). Bread i adore but it gives me heartburn unlessit is a piece of dry toast.....and that is hardly incentive to overeat!
    I just feel healthier and more energetic with a low carb diet.

9. Eva_Smith

I'd imagine it's the FAT not the carbs in pastry and cake that cause weight gain lol!

10. BelleDuJour

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Reducing my carbs intake has seen me lose nearly 6 stones. I can't lose weight if I eat plenty of carbs (as Beth suggested, I think) - but I still love them!

12. Yes Eva, I know! Which is why I don't eat much fat either - butter and cream have all gone from the diet (except for high days and holidays) too. I know how I feel after a carb rich meal.....sluggish and bloated. Rati9ning them makes me feel better. That's all.

13. Eva_Smith

'Twas a joke, Cosmos. Not a comment directed at you. As I said in my first post, some people reduce their carbs for reasons such as bloating.

14. BelleDuJour

Me too.....but it's usually because I've been a little piggy and by-passed my 'full-up' button! [​IMG]

15. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Belle, you are a TES aholoic. You have been on here for 18 months and posted over 5000 times. Which must average about 10 a day. When I check me I have been on 10 years and posted a bit over 7000.
    Get some therapy. Get a life.

16. Somewhat ironic given you've taken time out of your day to hector a complete stranger on the internet. [​IMG]
    I like carbs.
    They do not like me.
    I should probably be more bothered about it than I am.

17. Me too Belle.
    In my lifetime I have heard the praises sung for low fat, then high fibre, then low carb, then high protein, then shakes as meal replacement diets, banana diets, egg diets, grapefruit diets and yes....the drink cabbage soup all day diet!
    What a joke.[​IMG]
    Ye Gods! Are the women of this land completely bloody brain dead? (Women do tend to be the ones raving about the latest diets unfortunately.)
    If you have a just a few brain cells surely you have worked out by now that everyone expounding the wonders of a new diet has a book to flog or a money making scheme backing up their enthusiasm? I can't even be bothered with counting calories. It's unnatural and a sure-fire way to screwing up your well-being.
    Life is for living and to live we have to eat.
    Food and drink are also great pleasures in my book...A life of denial is not for me I am afraid.
    Surely we all KNOW which foods are GOOD for us? The fruits - scorned by some now....(*eye roll* as she tucks into a juicy nectarine....having had a banana already today) the vegetables, the high fibre carbs etc...
    However...many carbs are delicious and filling and stop us feeling forever hungry. Going into a state of ketoacidosis deliberately really is messing with the body's functions and rythms.
    Again, I am with you Belle. [​IMG]
    I need to lose weight but not for me deprivation. I am hoping a diet which is mostly healthy and well regulated, which includes foods and drinks I love every now and then is the way (weigh?) forward for me...as well as getting my **** into gear more often. I will not forego today's Sunday roast, lovingly cooked by the man, for anything.I may go easy on the roast spuds...and all the fat is ALWAYS trimmed from my meat....
    We are a long time dead...We are supposed to roll into the grave worn out from a good life and laughing aren't we? I'd rather do that, albeit prematurely, then live on a restricted diet forever more and be forever thinking about a number on the scales.

18. A no-carb diet certainly makes the weight fall off but as you say, start eating carbs again and it piles back on. I can do Dukan and Atkins as a time-limited short-term exercise but I couldn't make a life's work of it.

19. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I appreciate that some people can't eat carbs. (With me it's most cheese....I love the stuff....my skin hates it, or it hates my skin)
    My major gripe is that carbs are often vilified by dieters. Generally speaking carbohydrates are filling (especially the 'good' carbs packed with resistant fibre....refined carbs are less healthy) - until you smother them with fat.
    I don't see that any weight-loss plan that excludes a complete food-group can be healthy.

20. They certainly aren't and reading about them really infuriates me! I follow a low carb lifestyle but by no means would I ever cut any out!