1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hello dozymare

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by anon3372, May 8, 2012.

1. Cookery folks, I have persuaded dozy to check in here, although she isn't interested in cooking.
    I told her we talk about food, but also about a lot of other stuff too (heck, we have had weddings, babies, unemployment, illness, etc).
    I told her the really nice folk hang around here ;o)
    Sooooooooooooooooooo, let us all make her welcome (and get her cooking, tee hee!)

2. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

Hi CQ, thanks for the lovely welcome.
    I suspect that my two posts so far will make people want to blackball me!

3. That doesn't happen here!

4. dozymare1957

Don't take this the wrong way but why do people spend time cooking? Tesco sells such wonderful food!
    I once made a lasagne from scratch and my family ate it. When it was all gone my eldest son, who was about 11 at the time, said, "It was very nice Mum, but can we have the real stuff in future?" BTW he's 23 now and I've never made a "real" lasagne since - I've done it with jars of sauce and they like that.

5. dozymare1957

CQ I've read several of these threads. People really do cook, don't they? I don't know anyone who cooks like this. I wish I lived near to them all so I could sample everything (except the tongues).
    Now, Belle's sausage curry sounds good but it's soooooooooooo much work. I couldn't enjoy food that had used all those dishes and implements to prepare it.

6. Yes[​IMG]
    Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh, we have plenty of one pot recipes [​IMG]

7. dozymare1957

CQ, I'm really worried. There's a whole thread on Rosemary. It's so horrible, why would anyone ruin food by adding Rosemary? My MIL used to buy a huge leg of lamb and then completely cover the flavour with Rosemary - why?
    People put evil things in food - cloves, ginger, cinnamon to name but a few!
    [​IMG]

8. My, you are a challenge!
    Try the chili recipe first. No rosemary in that [​IMG]
    After that, we'll have you doing soup.
    Or a pasta sauce [​IMG]

9. dozymare1957

soup - tin
    pasta sauce - jar
    easy!

10. the evil tokoloshe

the evil tokoloshe New commenter

It takes between five and a maximum fifteen minutes from starting to letting it cook. Rice takes 30 seconds to get on the go and cooks alongside. I added in boiled eggs and they just cooked alongside at first then shelled and chopped them and added at the end. Honestly, it isn't that much time to do. Pretty much the same as cooking some mince and adding a pasta sauce.
    Welcome to cookery btw

11. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

It really takes no time at all. The time factor is letting it cook, which it does all on its own!
    Come on now dozymare................you CAN cook!
    Apart from the fact real cooking takes little time mostly, there are so many other advantages. It is cheaper, more nutritious, fresher, no added e numbers or preservatives, lower in fat, sugar and salt and, of course, much tastier (once you wean your offspring off the MSG and added salt in most processed foods).

12. Welcome, dozymare :) I am most certainly not in the same league as a great many posters in this forum but I like to look at the recipes and sometimes ask questions :) People are much nicer here when answering said questions!

13. We are indeed a nice bunch here and rarely do arguments occur ( although I was involved in a mild spat recently [​IMG])
    Do note dozy that although we all love cooking, we do have off days too and open a tin or a jar quite cheerfully!
    Welcome - we'll do our best to get you started

14. the evil tokoloshe

the evil tokoloshe New commenter

Just don't say anything against Lakeland or slow cookers and you'll be fine!

15. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Hi dozymare!
    And welcome to Cookery!
    We're a friendly bunch over here.
    Yes.most of us enjoy cooking....and eating! Cooking doesn;t have to be difficult, and doesn't have to take ages either....Oh and check out the 'What Did You Have For Dinner?' thread - you'll see that whilst we love to cook, we all have evenings when we go for something like egg on toast.
    You use jars of pasta sauce? Nothing wrong with that occassionally. Most of us will admit to a jar or two of pasta sauce or curry paste or Fray Bentos Steak and Kidney Pud (mmmmmm!)....However, if you like pasta, then there are lots of sauces you can make from scratch in the time it takes the pasta to cook. Fresh pasta sauce tastes totally different to the jars.
    Soup.....ummmmm...you haven't been here long...,most people here will know what is coming next....do you have a slow-cooker?!!! ....I am ever so slightly fond of slow-cooking!....Seriously, they are great for novice cooks....You can get one quite cheap these days (£25 for a basic model), and they cook cheap cuts of meat to mouthwatering tenderness, they mae chillis, curries,and stews so simply...and they make delicious soup!
    As CQ has said, we don't limit ourselves to food topics here...although it tends to crop up more often than not! It's always nice to have a new face join us - why not pop onto the dinner thread and tell us all what you're planning for tonight?

16. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

How did you know what I was typing when you wrote this?!
    Now be fair! ....I only mentioned Slowcookers....I was thinking of breaking the newbie in gently..... the joys of Lakeland (whatever they may be!!!) can be discussed at length later!

17. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Aaaahhhhh Lakeland....................................................

Welcome to Cookery dozymare, you'll find us <strike>nagging </strike>gently persuading you to cook. Why?The food is so much better for you without all those additives and it's cheaper!!

18. bizent

bizent Star commenter

Hi dozymare!
    Welcome to the forum. You might find youself grimmacing, baulking and totally bewildered by some of the concoctions that people on here come up with (I am on a daily basis) but all the while still fascinated.
    The amount of tips and recipes I've picked up have been great. My meatloaf, however, was most certainly NOT!

19. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

That's no way to speak about your OH Biz!! [​IMG]

20. bizent

bizent Star commenter

He's the beefcake Belle hehe