1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hello... any advice appreciated!

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by lthughes, Oct 11, 2019.

1. lthughes

lthughes New commenter

Thanks for clicking in and taking the time to read my post...
    Background - I've taught in UAE and Thailand. Came home 4 years ago got married and had a baby! But we are now beginning to get itchy feet again and would love to go abroad. Ideally I'd live Europe, purely for the closeness of it to the UK (so family can visit).
    Our little one will be nursery age by the time we go. I am a teacher and my partner will be a travelling spouse. He is looking for some sort of NGO work.

So I guess my question(s) is what are your thoughts in locations? We will be able to rent our house out in the UK, we don't need to be able to save a huge amount but we would like to have a comfortable lifestyle. We have lived in cities and more rural destinations so are open to both. I am trying to do my own research into Europe, I do think UAE and Thailand has spoiled use previously tbh!!

Thanks if you've got this far and an even bigger thanks if you're able to offer any advice, it's all very much appreciated :):)

2. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Anywhere outside the Euro. Check out CEESA.org. this is a great schools association, with some fantastic schools on their list.

Best of luck

yasf and T0nyGT like this.
  3. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

He's right. Europe may seem "close to home" but it's also 'quite' to 'very' poorly paid. What's an extra few hours on a flight for a few extra thousand a month?

4. lthughes

lthughes New commenter

Thanks, I'll certainly check it out!

5. lthughes

lthughes New commenter

This is true. It seems more and more often I am hearing of the poor salaries, and working conditions within the EU. Perhaps my search area needs to widen!
    Thanks!

6. Ne11y

Ne11y Occasional commenter

Eastern Europe tends to offer better cost of living ratios and more benefits.

7. dumbbells66

The EU is fine, its just there are some truly terrible countries in the Euro zone (we all know which ones im talking about). If you want to be close to the UK, just avoid the obvious European countries. Look at eastern europe, at least there you will be paid and treated like a professional and be given a professional package.

8. dumbbells66

Off topic slightly here, but i was talking to someone this week that has a friend in senior management at a very large school in Paris. He was saying they have someone in their HR whos sole role is to deal with job applications. Now he said that at its worse they are getting nearly 200 a day. I did question this, but he just the fact they have a specific person just to deal with unsolicited job applications did give it some element of truth.

9. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Terrible countries in the EU? Well, there is one, but it appears that soon it will be leaving.

As for the ancient pachyderm, I have to say that teaching in Sofia is not so bad. Okay, the salary is not great, but then again Sofia is a lot cheaper than most European capital cities. Mrs. Hippo and her overweight husband have a two-bedroomed apartment opposite a huge park and I can walk to school in 20 mins.

yasf likes this.
  10. yasf

yasf Occasional commenter

American, British or International ?

11. dumbbells66

I didnt ask, it would have been an IB school though

12. yasf

yasf Occasional commenter

Benelux, Germany and Scandinavia all have some relatively well paid schools. Switzerland too.

lthughes likes this.
  13. tigi

tigi Occasional commenter

Romania sounds ideal for you! Family friendly place, great countryside and cities, cheap flights elsewhere and fair to good packages available.

lthughes likes this.
  14. the hippo

When I was teaching at a certain school in Bucharest, my female colleagues from the UK told me that there was a very good reason for getting a job there: Romanian men! They said that they were much better-looking and more romantic than their British counterparts. Well, I cannot really comment on that, but Mrs Hippo and I enjoyed our time in Bucharest and we had many good bottles of Romanian wine.

lthughes likes this.
  15. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

I would guess that a lot of these are from people outside of Europe hoping to get inside Europe, rather than realistic applications from applicants who satisfy the job description.

I get a lot of CVs from Indians who see Europe as some sort of wonderland and just want their foot in the door. Some are extremely qualified and others have no teaching credentials.

If your school is well known or at the top of a Google search for 'International School [insert country]' then you'll get loads of speculative CVs simply because you're in Europe.

16. dumbbells66

Fair point, that was my guess. Put it should put it into focus for some people trying escape the UK, that getting an international job is not that easy. You do have the whole world applying for these roles.

T0nyGT likes this.
  17. tigi

tigi Occasional commenter

Gross.

But the wine is indeed good.

18. SUPER.SUPPLY

SUPER.SUPPLY Occasional commenter

Well, not being one to stereotype but the Romanian men who have made it over here to the uk don't really cut it for me!! Still, I suppose beauty is in the eye of the BEER HOLDER.

yasf likes this.
  19. the hippo

Some Romanians do not drink beer.

20. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

Nothing there to make me want to hop onto a plane.