1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hello again (it's been a very long time)

Discussion in 'Personal' started by roryceilingcat, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Hello!
    I used to be a fully paid up member of the TES forums...between about 2002-2008 I posted under a different (cat related, maud based) name. Then I moved abroad, decided to do something different for a bit, but teaching lured me back...
    In my previous life I was head of KS4, and a well established English teacher who quelled dissent with the raise of an eyebrow. Now I teach abroad, part-time English with lots of supply, spend my time being lost and am desperately recovering classroom management skills after 3 years out of the profession.
    My new class (5 lessons a week, IB Eng Lang and Lit Grade 11 - so lower sixth UK equivalent) are being a bit of a pain. I've been treating them like young adults, but they're a bit unruly, chat away in the local language (I teach abroad), and I'm feeling a bit like I did as an NQT - veering between laid back and disciplinarian. I've picked them up as a melded group (half each from 2 other 6th form classes) formed part way through the year due to oversizing. I've never taught the syllabus before, nor have I taught Eng Lang at this level...oh, and I haven't taught boys since 2000, and they *are quite different from girls.
    *sigh. Part of me thinks I should just impose a seating plan and treat them as they're behaving...but my last school was much more strict than this. I'm just not used to students this age talking over me, messing around and being a pain. But how much of it is me being new, how much the new class, and how much me forgetting the more demonstratively boisterousness nature of male students??
    Very long post. Hopefully I can be useful here too again soon!

RCC

2. Hello!
    I used to be a fully paid up member of the TES forums...between about 2002-2008 I posted under a different (cat related, maud based) name. Then I moved abroad, decided to do something different for a bit, but teaching lured me back...
    In my previous life I was head of KS4, and a well established English teacher who quelled dissent with the raise of an eyebrow. Now I teach abroad, part-time English with lots of supply, spend my time being lost and am desperately recovering classroom management skills after 3 years out of the profession.
    My new class (5 lessons a week, IB Eng Lang and Lit Grade 11 - so lower sixth UK equivalent) are being a bit of a pain. I've been treating them like young adults, but they're a bit unruly, chat away in the local language (I teach abroad), and I'm feeling a bit like I did as an NQT - veering between laid back and disciplinarian. I've picked them up as a melded group (half each from 2 other 6th form classes) formed part way through the year due to oversizing. I've never taught the syllabus before, nor have I taught Eng Lang at this level...oh, and I haven't taught boys since 2000, and they *are quite different from girls.
    *sigh. Part of me thinks I should just impose a seating plan and treat them as they're behaving...but my last school was much more strict than this. I'm just not used to students this age talking over me, messing around and being a pain. But how much of it is me being new, how much the new class, and how much me forgetting the more demonstratively boisterousness nature of male students??
    Very long post. Hopefully I can be useful here too again soon!

RCC