1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp!!!!!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Bethannie, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

It seemed so innocent at first...
    Mum said she had just made a batch of Milchreis...would I like a bowlful?
    "Ooooh sounds good Mum!"
    ""Right, I'll bring it with me, put the kettle on..."

So about 30 minuites later Mum arrived, the creamy treat was put in the fridge for later, we had a coffee, we chatted...
    Just before she left Mum pulled something put of her bag....
    "oh beth, I almost forgot...I got the new Lakeland catalogue....I'll just leave it here shall I...."

Help.....please....I'm weakening already....I only had a 'little' look...and honestly. I <u>need</u> one of those Box Apettit lunch boxes....and I <u>need</u> those jelly moulds - the cute individual ones...and some easy-yo sachets (I <u>need</u> the coconut ones and the fruit ones too)..and I <u>need</u> a cupcake maker (cakey treats in 10 minutes!)...I haven't seen if they still have those amazing brightly coloured saucepans in - but I <u>need</u> them too!....

2. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I'm sure that there is a support group that you could join!

3. lrw22

lrw22 Occasional commenter

There is a Lakeland shop in the town where I live. Quite recently it has been joined by a Steamer Trading Kitchen Shop which is very similar to Lakeland only the prices are even more extortionate (&pound;65 for a scandinavian washing up bowl!!)
    Both shops are full of lovely things that I want but very few that I actually need and even fewer that I actually have storage space for. I have been very tempted to a cup cake maker myself though, they look like fun!

4. tangerinecat

tangerinecat New commenter

Step away from the cupcake maker - you'd only be saving yourself 2-5 minutes cooking time.
    The rest of the stuff I suspect I may also need... [​IMG]

5. fudgeface

fudgeface Occasional commenter

Lmao!

Stressed about return to work tomorrow and I loved your posts!

6. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I could start one!
    We could meet at my home....and then I could bake lovely cupcakes for the group in my new cupcake maker...I told you I needed one!

7. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

But if I make two batches I have saved up to 10 minutes!
    If I do this every day but Sundays that is an hour every week I have saved!
    (I need lots of cakes for the support group i have been encouraged to set up!)

8. fudgeface

fudgeface Occasional commenter

I'd come
    Keep calm and eat cup cakes

9. Bethannie...hands in the air...step away from the Lakeland catalogue slowly.....move backwards to the wall.....
    *sends in the cookery squad to confiscate it*
    I have gadgets and cookware in so many kitchen cuboards and most of it gathers dust...However, show me a stationery or arts and craft catalogue and I'd be liable to spend a small fortune on bits and pieces I feel I just have to have....
    Fine-liner pens....*drool*....cartridge paper, watermarked paper, tissue-lined envelopes, italic nibs......I need them, want them, love them....[​IMG]
    I know how you are feeling [​IMG]

10. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

A Scandinavian washing up bowl?....I don't have one of those...do I <u>need</u> one?...maybe I do!....I wonder if these Steamer Trading people have a website...it surely can't hurt to have a little peek?......

11. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Surely 2 batches of cupcakes would fit in the oven together? That means that the cupcake maker is actually slower....
    Just off to look for a probe thermometer and a pressure cooker though. I've been given a copy of Heston at Home today and these now appear to be essential bits of kit. I draw the line at buying the sous-vide stuff.

12. Ruthie66

Ruthie66 New commenter

I bough some lovely (but quite pricey) pans from Lakeland this week - I got the milkpan free with 3 other pans though so just think of the money I've saved. Anyway I won't have to buy saucepans for at least another 20 years now so I'm sure it was money well spent (the reviews were very good).

13. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I used to live near the main store in Windermere.
    It was actually cheaper to move across to the other side of the country than stay there[​IMG]
    The nearest store is now 40 miles away[​IMG]
    The internet has a lot to answer for[​IMG]
    ( Hurries off to buy that new floor cleaner needed!)

14. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Which is why I <u>need</u> to buy two cupcake makers!!!! The funky purple standard model bakes 6 cupcakes...and then the dinky blue one bakes 7 minicupcakes! I <u>need</u> both!......and I also <u>need</u> the oh-so-cute cupcake cases decorated with bees and ladybirds!

15. lrw22

lrw22 Occasional commenter

They do have a website but don't seem to sell anything online. Their list of stores looks fairly extensive though, I'm sure you could find one to visit somewhere near you! You probably don't need the washing up bowl but it is a lovely shop to visit if you're already a Lakeland fan.

16. What about those water baths and bits of plastic to seal food in before submerging it? Have you got charcoal and liquorice powder to coat food with? How about one of those containers that produce dry ice...Masterchef was more like science experiments than cookery this year...
    It's all very strange.....[​IMG]

17. Bethannie... Bethannie... BETHANNIE...BETHANNIE
    *BIG open handed slap*
    Get a grip, you are having delusions.
    Place the Watchtower/Radio Times in the bin.
    It is not now and never has been a Lakeland catalogue.
    I repeat, that tatty, well thumbed collection of pages you have clutched to your breast is not a Lakeland catalogue.
    Do
    you remember our last little chat? We discussed the possible effects of
    weaning yourself off Lakeland? Yes?? So here is your first test.
    Repeat your mantra and it will all be OK!
    'Lakeland is terrible. Lakeland is tat. Lakeland is not needed. Not needed in my flat!'

I should point out that that lady was not your mum! Your mum left when she finished her coffee. Then a wicked Lakeland Mum-Impersonator stepped in to cause mayhem!

Now.... think it through, you know it makes sense. bag it, bin it, forget about it!

18. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Its easy to resist..open the window and fling it out..let someone else be temppted into evil lol

19. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

Lakeland is rubbish compared to the kitchen **** shop in Oswestry.

20. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

That lady looked like my Mum!....and she spoke German too!....you mean she was a Lakeland operative!...or maybe my Mum is secretly working for them - on commission!

I don't remember learning any anti-Lakeland mantra...Lakeland are good...they solve all my kitchen problems...and cleaning ones too!....they are a good company....and my Mum knew them when they first started, she was one of their very first customers.

Maybe I could wean myself off....but throwing the whole catalogue away is a big step...maybe if I just remove the middle pages (quick check shows none of the stuff I really <u>need</u> is on those pages!)...then on the next catalogue I'll remove two pages....or not...
    I'm not really addicted or anything...I can stop anytime I want....I can close the catalogue anytime I want...*shudder*...I jsut choose not to right now.....I'll just look for those saucepans and then I'll close the catalogue....