1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hedgehog Signs

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Wiccafey, Jul 21, 2015.

1. A friend was talking to a woman recently who told her that hedgehogs are on an endangered list. She said there has been a dramatic decline in the hedgehog population due to being run over by cars. Because of this many children, even in the countryside, have never seen a hedgehog. It's very sad that these poor unassuming little creatures are being killed.

The woman has started a petition for local councils to put up hedgehog signs in areas where hedgehogs have been seen. My friend has asked me to spread the word on the petition to give as many people as possible the chance to give their support. If you have a garden please consider making part of it safe so as to encourage hedgehogs to breed and increase their numbers. Please also add your name to the petition.

Thank you.

https://www.change.org/p/highways-england-save-our-hedgehogs-make-hedgehog-road-signs

2. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Signed.

I haven't seen a hedgehog in years. They used to be frequent visitors to my garden when I was a child.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

i know we haven't had a single hedgehog in our vilages for the past 20 years. And yes when I first lived here and we were first married we had quite a few 'crashing' (that's what they sound like) through the undergrowth in the garden. Apparently it may have been the annual village bonfire, which contributed to their demise. Used to get earlier and earlier each year, starting to build up in mid September and they reckon the hedgehogs used to go in the bonfire pile to hibernate. Come Nov 5th of course . . . . . .

4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Got them in my garden. We tend to hear them if we are out in the garden at dusk as they snuffle about in the shrubbery. Little black turds are the usual signs that they are about.

5. tidal

tidal New commenter

Whilst road deaths are a factor they are by no means the the biggest reason for the decline in numbers.
    Other factors such as changes to habitat, poisoning of their major food sources and even climatic changes are reckoned to have more effect.

The signs may help to a small degree but (as you point out) creating hedgehog friendly areas and reducing isolation of hedgehog communities may have much bigger effects.

So would a ban on the usage of slug pellets and other attacks on their food

6. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Will the hedgehogs be able to read the signs?

7. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

A couple of years ago I went out in the morning to get in the car and go to school and there was a little procession of Mum plus three little hedgehogs all in a line walking down our drive way. They were heading straight towards the road which is quite busy at that time of day so I got the door mat and rolled them all onto it (it's not easy picking up a hedgehog) and took them to the bottom of the back garden where they headed towards much safer countryside.

We occasionally get them snuffling around after dark, they are surprisingly noisy for small animals.

8. Jacob

Ha ha. Funny. It might just stop some of them getting killed though.

9. tidal

That's true. All those things help. Banning slug pellets would be good too. Signs are another way to help as well.

10. Thank you smoothnewt.

11. Mangleworzle

How lucky you are to see so many hedgehogs at one time. And what a kind thing you did by putting them in a safe place. You might have single handedly stopped the population from becoming extinct in your area. It's good to know there are still some thoughtful and considerate people around.

12. Thank you to everyone who signed the petition.

13. I've signed. It's so sad to see any wildlife declining.

14. Thank you for that.

15. I regret that there is only one serious reason for the decline in hedgehog numbers, and that is the explosion in the badger population. Anyone with a badger sett at the bottom of their garden or nearby will know that there will be dozens of spiny hedgehog pelts scattered round them. The badger is the hedgehog's only natural predator.

16. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Signed :)

I hate seeing badgers and foxes as road kill too :(

17. I signed as well.