1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Heavy Metal in Music Lessons

Discussion in 'Music' started by JennyMus, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Why do you think they would?

I'm not sure how well it would go down with the general student population though.

2. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

I don't see why it would? Different genres and all that. I think the children would enjoy it.We had Jeff Rich (drummer from status quo) do a whole school drumming workshop which was great fun. It was very loud though and a couple of the year 1/2 children got upset. The grand finale-he put on some Status Quo music, gave every child a percussion instrument. and we all played along.Wow!

3. Thanks, I guess I was just a little paranoid. Probably true with the students, many of them seem to be into drum and bass these days. Still it might prove interesting, especially if I can access YouTube and show some of the fantastic stages he used to have.

4. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Seems fine if you are proposing a lesson on his music - how it's constructed, the chords and riffs used, what makes it unique etc. Include plenty of performing and composing.
    Lessons that are just talks about personalities are not generally considered good practice.

5. I was definitely planning to focus on his music and also some of the great stage props he used to use, like the mechanical dragon. I think primary children might be somewhat impressed by that. Thanks for the advice