1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Heaven is thin!!

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by lapinrose, Feb 24, 2011.

1. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Well chocolate thins anyway,

Everyone knows chocolate goes well with various spices. But even we didn't think it would go quite this well...

[​IMG]
    Spicy chocolate: An alternative after-dinner treat

<h2>Makes about 40</h2>
    INGREDIENTS
    For the dark chocolate chilli thins
    • 200g (7oz) dark chocolate
    • A large pinch of hot chilli powder
    • Edible glitter
    For the white chocolate, cardamom and pistachio thins
    • 200g (7oz) white chocolate
    • &frac12;tsp crushed cardamom seeds
    • 2tbsp finely chopped pistachio nuts, plus extra to garnish
    METHOD
    For the dark chocolate thins, break the chocolate into chunks and
    melt carefully in a heatproof bowl over a pan of barely simmering water.
    Meanwhile, line two flat baking sheets with non-stick baking parchment.
    Once the chocolate has melted, stir in the chilli powder. Use a
    teaspoon to add &lsquo;drops&rsquo; of the chocolate onto the baking parchment.
    Scatter over a small amount of edible glitter, then leave to set in a
    cool place &ndash; but avoid the fridge as this can affect the colour and
    texture of the chocolate.

For the white chocolate thins, melt the chocolate as above and stir
    in the cardamom and pistachio.
    Make the thins as above, then once they
    are partially set, sprinkle each with a little chopped pistachio and any
    remaining edible glitter.
    Leave to set in a cool place, as before.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/article-1355644/Recipes-sweetheart-Exotic-chocolate-thins.html#ixzz1EthoD900

2. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Looks really good Lapin.
    Will give these a go for sure [​IMG]

3. The white chocolate and cardomom always go down well at work - especially if I forget to tell them what's in the chocolate [​IMG]
    I prefer to add one more step, tempering the chocolate so it retains it's snap. There's nothng weirder than eating homemade choccie and wondering what's wrong/missing. Few people realsie it's that satisfying 'snap' in the hand or mouth!
    There are a few ways of doing it, a quick Google should suffice!
    AND you can buy moulds for thins very easily, they cost a couple of quid and don't half make a difference to how posh a cheap pressie looks!
    Oh! There go my Easter secrets!

4. Bad, bad lapin. You know I am trying to lose weight! I've put a lb on just by licking the screen.

5. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Very simple idea - very easy to customise...always makes me popular with my boss at work when I bring some in.

6. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Ooooh pretty!
    *eyes light up*

7. Oh they look lovely - all wrapped up in cellophane like that. Good Easter gift for an adult!
    Lapin, can you suggest a spice other than cardamom (sp?) to go in the white chocolate thins? Would chilli work in those as well? I suppose it would, but it would be nice for the different chocolates to have contrasting flavours.
    (I just cannot bear the flavour of cardamom. A friend made a cardomom-infused cream which she poured over fresh fruit salad, and I was retching as I tried to eat it. Ugh!)

8. Chillie doesn't work as well with white chocolate - too sweet and it lacks that chocolate punch that carries the heat well.
    I've used lavendar, rosemary is just delicious, thyme too. My sister made lemongrass thins.... how did I forget that??? Very, very nice.

And I had a white hot choc made with chai spices, so that would have been cinnamon, ginger, cloves, ooooooooooh! black peppercorn, I can taste that!!!!

OMG! I have just designed my 2011 box of chocs - thank you all!
    Now it just needs a name... eastern, sweet and spicy!!!

9. Hmm, they look heavenly! Just so pretty too, I think I've found a new cooking activity to do with my two girls next school holiday. They love cooking and they love chocolate!

10. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Lavender and white chocolate would be amazing. Also what about doing a milk chocolate one, just plain or adding something like Cinnamon?

11. It's a good job I'm not at home - I'd be half way through making those by now. They look amazing. I'm drooling.

12. I don't use too much of it, I don't like it as much as the punch of plain or the creaminess of white.
    Cinnamon works well and I found a sweet curry powder that works very nicely - madras curry powder is easiest to find. And the chai spices are almost as nice as in white chocolate.
    Allspice powder is good (dried pimento).
    In a ganache rather than a thin most liqueurs are nicest in milk chocolate too!
    Can you tell I used to make loads of choccy stuff??
    [​IMG]

13. They look gorgeous. Has anyone tried the Montezuma chocolate? Their dark chocolate with sea salt is amazing. Might treat myself to their chilli chocolate after reading this.

14. Their chilli and lime is sublime and the orange and geranium is weirdly moreish!!

I haven't found the sea salt one - yet!!! Sounds good.

15. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

White chocolate with lemon and black pepper is divine!

16. egyptgirl

Salted chocolate/salted caramel is AMAZING!!!

17. o gods, stoppit! My learners' unit reports are getting all soggy! [​IMG]

18. THAT is so stolen!
    I think I shall be digging out my chocolate pot and doing some serious melting next week!
    [​IMG]

19. egyptgirl

Wear a bib! Or have some self-control! [​IMG]
    [Says she who bought a tub of Green and Blacks Ice cream just so she could have the free bar of chocolate + Aero mint multipack + Peanut M&Ms + Galaxy + Rolos + Dairy Milk multipack in Tesco this morning. Naughty Egyptgirl]
    White chocolate and rose water is another great combination.