1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Heatwave to start on saturday?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by jacob, May 16, 2011.

1. Our stingy HT turned the school heating off the first day of the Easter Holidays and it is f*cking freezing. I have had a fan heater going full belt in my office ever since, as have all the other staff with the luxury of an office.

2. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Our lot turn the heating off at the beginning of May every year. At home I have had to have the heating on.
    Just more of the North/South divide, but this time in terms of weather.

3. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

[​IMG] It is. Please donate generously to the fund at www.skint-r-us.co.uk

4. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Well if you Jocks get independence you can beg extra money off the EU instead of getting it from Westminster.

5. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Had a blast of Sicilian sun and heat last week - the sky was so blue. Now its raining here but we've been out gardening in the rain because the garden went berserk once it got wet. A heatwave starting at the weekend would be just perfect, son and family are coming up and I would love to sit out in the garden and see granddaughter trotting round. Also don't want to see the slight tan (being sensible - sigh) fade too quickly.Might even have a night or three away in the tent. Doubt it will happen though.

6. Misread topic heading as "Headweave to start on Saturday" and opened it to see what Jacob was having done.......

7. Definitions vary from place to place. But I think the rule of thumb is something like 5C above the expected maximum for that month/season in that place - for a certain number of days.
    Here we have 2 definitions for a summer heatwave, over 35C for 5 consecutive days or over 40C for 3 days. (Our record heatwave from a couple of years ago was 15 days straight over 35C - 30C just doesn't count.)

8. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Thanks for that. I am fully thatched!
    Still no evidence of a "heatwave" being reported on the Metoffice website. So where are these reports of "heatwaves" coming from. Has some nutter in a cave been looking at the entrails of Chickens?

9. Jacob, the main concern seems to be drought and the possibility of fires. This is mainly because April was well above average for temp and down for rainfall so everything is a bit dry already. (I know the peat is already burning in parts of Russia which is a bit earlier than usual.)
    http://uk.ibtimes.com/articles/146361/20110516/heatwave-heat-uk-hot-weather-drought-farmer-spelman-weather-britain-emergency-food-production.htm
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/05/17/us-europe-drought-idUSTRE74G29J20110517

10. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Hmmm. If only I was First Minister. I'm REALLY good at begging! [​IMG]

11. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Did I miss it?
    Why is weather forecasting getting worse?

12. dominant_tonic

dominant_tonic Established commenter

I don't know, but it definitely is! The thing that I don't understand is that surely all the other agencies take their information from the met office? SO how come this is always such a big variant between say the weather forecast on BBCone and the one on ITV?
    I want a heatwave, it's flipping freezing here. Did anyone have a sunny weekend?