1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Heatwave food

Discussion in 'Personal' started by modelmaker, Aug 8, 2020.

1. modelmaker

modelmaker Lead commenter

Are you making the most of the heatwave to fire up the barbecue, or are you scared of doing so in case your neighbours who can't stand the smell of barbecues don't socially distance when they come round to complain? Are you missing the foreign holidays you might have had, but for the pandemic and are taking the trouble to cook the sort of foods you'd have had, if you'd been on holiday, in similar temperatures that Britain has been enjoying?

I'm currently looking forward to paella. Which part of the culinary world do you intend to venture to whilst staying at home? If we'd been in the south of France on a Saturday night, I have no doubt my sweetheart would be hoping I'd agree to sharing a Royal seafool platter with her because it comes with more choices than she'd get in the smaller platters.

It's not so easy to do it in England from what you can find in the frozen food cabinets, is it?

2. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Never understood the attraction of garden barbecuing & its myriad of social conventions.

3. Catgirl1964

Catgirl1964 Senior commenter

We had a barbecue yesterday evening. No neighbour complaints. Had our Canary Islands holiday cancelled so a family group of 6 of us went to a great lakeside hotel in the Cotswolds and had a lovely time. Going to South Devon too for a long weekend early Sept. Never attempted paella although I should give it a go.

agathamorse likes this.
  4. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Raspberry ice pops. I do not want any food. Ever again. It is too hot.

agathamorse likes this.
  5. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Water melon out of the fridge - lots of it!

6. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Ah the lovely smell of scorched flesh wafting upon the air. Stomach cancer for all!

Jamvic likes this.
  7. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I love a barbecue. If we have one it's always a slow cooked pork and chicken, sometimes a bacon-explosion, and a tray of roasted veg. Can't be doing with burgers and sausages, too much of a faff when your guests are there.

agathamorse, needabreak and maggie m like this.
  8. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

If we want to eat hot food outside it's much easier and cleaner to cook it in the room that we have handily dedicated to preparing and cooking food. It's the other side of door to the garden.

9. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Half-price meals in pubs and restaurants every Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday (providing they remain as sparesely frequented as we found last week) - so not actually staying at home.

10. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I used to barbecue stuff for family meals some years ago (charcoal only, none of your poncey gas) but I can't be a*sed with all the smoke and mess and setting up and putting away and cleaning any more, now it's only me and Mrs MSB.

I never liked social barbecues, mainly because most others incinerated the food instead of cooking it, leaving an inedible carbonised crust on everything. I'd be accused of undercooking things because there wasn't any black on them. Then I'd have to share my stuff out and endure crunching on everyone else's burnt offerings whilst pretending I was enjoying the sensation of eating coal.

And what's that male thing when you're invited to someone's house and all the men congregate around the barbecue with pints in hand? Is that a caveman thing (pints excepted obviously)?

cissy3, Jamvic and jubilee like this.
  11. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I don't mind a barbie occasionally, though I don't own one. But my horrible neighbours love them and between April and October, they have barbies several times a week, sometimes three times a day at weekends (that's once on Friday night, and three times on Saturday, and another three times on Sunday) This means they can make the smell come right into our house on a nearly constant basis. Their barbeque is directly outside our back door, right up against our fence, where it also scorches and kills off our plants. Many years ago in the course of another conversation, I suggested it might be possible to move it ten feet, perhaps to behind their outhouse, into an otherwise empty area away from all our houses. Simply suggesting that caused huge issues as they have "a right" to eat what they want and to cook it how and where they like. I have never dared to complain apart from that one suggestion, in twelve years. A barbeque also allows for much drunken noise, and means the music is turned up even louder than usual, because the volume has to be loud enough to go through three rooms onto their patio, and be earsplitting once it gets there.
    Yet another reason I can't wait to move...
    As for summer food, it partly depends on what's in the garden, so currently lots of lettuce, courgettes and beans with raspberries for pudding.

cissy3, bombaysapphire and Jamvic like this.
  12. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

Can’t beat a curry!

Ivartheboneless and Jamvic like this.
  13. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

That is a self-limiting, irrational and alarmingly common trait that makes me tsk internally. Every time.*

Scale it up. Swap "plants" for "human life".

Sorry, off-topic, but eye-rollingly topical.

* edit-like my neighbours who kept blocking access for my car, probably and understandably without even noticing, so I mentioned it because it was impacting on me getting out to work, and their response was to do it even more as punishment for me ruining their lives by asking them to help out by slightly modifying their behaviour in a way which was completely feasible to them and extremely useful to me. I'm such a monster.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    mothorchid and Jamvic like this.
  14. mothorchid

@sbkrobson - they do the blocking the drive thing too! It seems the fault is mine because only a cr*ppy driver would find it a problem that 4 foot of the drive access is blocked.
    I am hoping for a swift exchange of contracts and completion. Luckily, the people who are buying our house are feisty and will stand no nonsense... Also, simply by virtue of not being Mr Mothorchid and me, they will be much loved.

bombaysapphire, Jamvic and sbkrobson like this.
  15. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

The end is in sight, phew. Deep breaths until exchange and completion.

Somebody of less integrity than myself would suggest signing them up for all sorts of useless, lewd, irritating mail shots-imagine!

16. mothorchid

Oooh - I have little or no integrity where these "people" are concerned. But I do where the environment is concerned. B*gger. I will have to consider...
    Breathing deeply. They are out today so it's BBQ free and quiet. We will be able to sit outside in the garden.

Jamvic likes this.
  17. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Glad you’re able to escape such inconsiderate neighbours. We moved to our current house for similar reasons many years ago.

mothorchid likes this.
  18. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Ah yes, men & their bbq fantasies.

579CA4B6-7C2E-4486-B032-B7DD360BB80B.jpeg

When a man volunteers to do the BBQ the following chain of events are put into motion:

1. The woman buys the food.

2. The woman makes the salad, prepares the vegetables, and makes dessert.

3. The woman prepares the meat for cooking, places it on a tray along with the necessary cooking utensils and sauces, and takes it to the man who is lounging beside the grill – beer in hand.

4. THE MAN PLACES THE MEAT ON THE GRILL.

5. The woman goes inside to organize the plates and cutlery.

6. The woman comes out to tell the man that the meat is burning. He thanks her and asks if she will bring another beer while he deals with the situation.

7. THE MAN TAKES THE MEAT OFF THE GRILL AND HANDS IT TO THE WOMAN.

8. The woman prepares the plates, salad, bread, utensils, napkins, sauces, and brings them to the table.

9. After eating, the woman clears the table and does the dishes.

10. Everyone PRAISES and THANKS the man for his cooking efforts.

11. The man asks the woman how she enjoyed “her night off from cooking”. And, upon seeing her annoyed reaction, concludes that there’s just no pleasing some women.

jubilee, cissy3, nomad and 1 other person like this.