1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

heating costs?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by legoearth, Feb 5, 2012.

1. legoearth

legoearth New commenter

Hi all, I originally put this in the finance section but I thought I'd give it a go on here!
    I've heard people talking about heating costs and just wondered what others might be paying because mine seemed really high compared to everyone else. I have a pre-payment metre that scotish power wont change because it is a rented house. I know these are more expensive! I am using about 35.00 pounds/week ( pound sign not working ) in gas ( combi boiler). It's 3 bedrooms two living rooms 1930's traditional semi (arched front door bay window etc) Heating is on 24 hours a day because there is always somebody in. I run it at 70/21 degrees. 4 showers/day (not all me ) 2 or 3 washing up sessions and a shave in hot running water OH not me ( ; We don't heat all the rooms all day, just close the door unless it's used and turn radiator down low. I'm quite new to central heating three years 4 different houses! So i'm not sure what is normal! We don't swan around in t-shirts,it's a thick socks/wooly jumper house ( :
    P.S. I've now turned down the thermostat to 19 and tried leaving it off for a few hours per day. It has made very little difference to the ammount of gas we are using [​IMG]

2. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Contact your energy supplier - they may be able to check that the meter is running correctly...also ask if you are paying via the meter for any arrears. (if you have recently moved in then it could be arrears from previous occupants!)
    And a couple of thoughts...
    Why is the heating on 24/7? Even with people in the house, does it need to be on overnight? If you turn it off at about 9pm the house should stay warm enough until you go to bed...then it could come on at 6am?
    Check the thermostats in each room - bedrooms can happily be kept cooler than the living room.
    Make sure your double-glazing. insulation and boiler-lagging are all doing their jobs!
    The shaving with hit running water is a waste, and will add up over the year - and you could probably save by cutting out one of the washing-up sessions. But I don't know how much difference they'd make to a weekly bill.
    Finally, go onto MoneySavingExpert - the Martin Lewis finance/advice site - lots of hints and tips there on all sorts of money saving including fuel bills.

3. I dont know what I pay at min as I pay quarterly and next bill will arrive in March for the winter heat but I would marry up the cost with the benefit. Heat is not something you can scrimp on. Heat and food for me are the 2 priorities. If you are warm and your belly is full you can cope with much more than if you are cold and hungry.
    I have a combi boiler too....your hot water is constant as it runs off the heat so if youre heat is on 24/7 then the cost of the showers/wash ups/shaves etc wont be extra. What you may pay for regarding these is the water cost (Im in a block of flats so my water charge is part of my service charge!).
    Also if you have a combi boiler and you set your thermostat to a certain degrees your heat isnt actually on 24/7 unless needed. They work by clicking in and out to keep the temperature constant. So for example my thermostat is set at 19degrees. Once the heat is at 19degrees and stays that way for a short while the heat cuts out until it is needed again. On top of this you can then programme the heat to always be on at certain pts if you want e.g. mine is always on from 5am to 8am so its toasty when I get up and its always on from 5pm to 7pm regardless so its toasty when I get in.
    Finally all the money saving experts say leaving your thermostat at one constant temp is the cheapest option- all the fiddling is what costs money. And reducing your temp by just 1 degrees makes a huge difference financially but not in terms of comfort.

4. legoearth

legoearth New commenter

After checking my meter at lunchtime I discovered that we had used 10 pounds worth of gas since friday evening!!! One living room and our bedroom has no heating on at all I had turned hall,other living room two bedrooms and the kitchen down to 3 on their own thermostats and the bathroom to 1!
    Did some detective work and STUPID ME!!! There is about 50 feet of un-insulated copper piping running round an outside wall and near the garage roof from the boiler, BEFORE it even enters the house!! Actually it's two pipes but I feel so stupid I didn't want to mention this or the fact that they are twice the diameter of the pipes inside the house and they are CONSTANTLY scorching hot.
    Think I know how I'm spending my afternoon off tomorow[​IMG]

5. Heating pipes outside the house? Odd.

6. legoearth

legoearth New commenter

Think out house/passage way. Outside wall, not outside house! No cavity,it used to be the garden wall but was roofed and plastered. Cold anyway [​IMG]

7. legoearth

legoearth New commenter

Hahahahahaha I've been paying 15 pounds a week off somebody elses bill for almst two years! I am a good girl though cos I paid it all off plus another 83 pounds! The power company are going to pay back the 83 and 'look into' the rest!!

8. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Our current gas bill is £40 a month for a small 3 bed semi. I'm hoping that will drop further in Spring as the loft was properly lagged last Autumn. We've got a two year old condenser boiler, thermostatic radiator valves, the lounge thermostat is set to 19 and we don't run the heating overnight or between 7am and 3pm on weekdays unless it's exceptionally cold.

Our cooker's electric and I run a small electric heater on a low setting in our small conservatory to keep the frost out.

The improved loft lagging's made a huge difference this winter.