1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Heated arguments

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by andrew07, Jun 24, 2015.

1. andrew07

andrew07 Occasional commenter

Hello

Just curious if any of you who has ever had a heated argument with another member of staff while doing supply at a school, maybe because of the way people treat you, etc. I did today after a member of staff was quite rude in the way he approached me in front of other members of staff. The person in question got extremely loud. Could this lead to me being asked not to come back? I reported this to my agency.

2. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

If you argued back, then it doesn't look good.

If someone is talking rubbish, let them get it off their chest.

I'd ask the agency to get you out of there and move on. Life's too short for arguing.

3. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi Andrew

I agree with nearmiss.

You have to make a conscious effort to ignore people who may be rude to you because it is going to happen. I must say, however, that in all the years of working as a supply teacher 99.9% of the time I have been treated well by everyone I have met and can only recall one or two people who have been rude or have made me look bad.

You will find the most of the time, the agency will not be too interested since they are more interested in the school having a pleasant experience more than what you are having to deal with.

The lesson to learn from this is to try to maintain a poise which allows you to remain dignified: in other words, be pleasant to people no matter what and go out of your way to be accommodating since then there will be no place for arguments and YOU come out looking good which is what you want to do so you can get more work.

If someone is rude to you and it is uncalled for, don't say anything back but just take on board what they are trying to tell you. Be assured that someone else will have noticed and will report their rudeness and it will be taken care of behind the scenes.

4. andrew07

andrew07 Occasional commenter

Well I really appreciate it. I've only got a few days left at this school.