1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Heartless STA

Discussion in 'Primary' started by tm73, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Hello,
    I'm looking for help/advice and to also rant a little. I'm a Yr 6 teacher at a very small school over the easter holidays a pupil of mine was seriously injured and is in a neck brace. They are on liquid diet and are due to have more operations in the coming weeks. Obviously this means that they are unable to sit their SATs tests in 4 weeks. I've been speaking to and emailing the ncatools people, the LEA and the STA and they have all said the same thing.
    "he will have to be marked as absent for the test"
    Apparently there is no special dispensation for children who cannot physically sit the tests. I can obviously submit my teacher assessment but it still goes down as an "N" in the school results. Where we are such a small school (19 in year 6) every pupil counts for just over 5% so now I'm looking at 5% less for my eoy data, which will obviously have a negative effect on the schools league table place.

Is there anyway around this?
    hellllpppppppp!!!!!!!!

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Can they not have a a Scribe and sit the test at home or the hospital? That would be the only way round it. However, this does seem morally wrong.

He isn't doing the test and so he is absent. There is nothing you can do about it really.

Horrible for him...and horrible that teachers do actually feel this way in such situations. (Not criticising you, I'd be the same.)

3. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Sorry, but you have a seriously injured child in a neck brace and you are worried about the effect on league tables!
    Wow!

4. If he is so badly injured, then I would imagine SATs will be the last thing on his and his parents' mind. I wouldn't push this one. However, if he wants to sit them, and his parents are wanting it too, I think he could sit them at home with a scribe. I would be really uncomfortable about this one though. If your results go down by 5%, they go down by 5%. There is a very good reason for it.

5. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

Gosh, poor thing. What a dreadful thing to happen. Especially in what should be a joyous and exciting final term at primary school. I hope he recovers soon, bless him. x

6. palmtree100

palmtree100 Lead commenter

Sad really, how children are viewed as numbers like that. Hope he makes a full recovery.

7. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

He has far more important matters to deal with.

8. While I totally agree with the issue of perspective that the previous posters have raised, this reminded me of a situation we faced last year.
    One of our most enthusiastic Y6 pupils last year was a child who had worked incredibly hard over the course of the year, making good progress and was working within L4 for English and borderline 3/4 for maths. The Sunday before the SATs started, he bounced off his trampoline and broke his arm. Horrible situation at any time. Whilst it was not our first thought, we would have accepted that we would 'lose 3%', as we assumed he was to understandably be marked absent for the test. However, we also knew how hard he had worked and that he was looking forward to showing off his progress during test week. His parents confirmed this so it was arranged that staff from the school would go to his house, administer the test under test conditions there and he would therefore have the use of a scribe. A few years before this, a child broke his arm at playtime between the two writing tests and was whisked off in the ambulance. He BEGGED for the opportunity to complete the rest of the papers and came into school the following day and used a scribe. Of course, I am sure this all had to be checked and agreed through official channels. But children being unable to attend school during test week due to illness/injury is a fairly common occurance and one which there are several contingency plans for (scribes can be used, maths papers can be read, additional breaks/time given in certain situations, etc).
    However.
    The two examples I have given are very much walking wounded <u>and</u> the children involved were very motivated and enthusiastic to take the tests (as were their parents when they saw how keen their children were). The original post suggests this injury is more serious and there is no indication of the CHILD's disappointment (or not!) at missing out on the 'opportunity' of the tests. If the child's injury/own motivation to undertake a test while recuperating (which will in itself have a detrimental effect on a test result should you pursue it!) prevent them from completing the test, then yes, you will have to just accept your 5% loss. However, if you feel this child would genuinely feel they were missing out by not undertaking the test (ie for the child's own gain not the school's league table result) then you could look into alternative arrangements, such as administering at home. It totally depends on the child and hte nature of their injury (and how this changes as test week approaches) You will of course have to use your own judgement (of the child, their parents, the nature of the injury) to decide how/when best to broach this with the family. And I would strongly suggest you leave out the percentage argument when talking to them!! [​IMG]
    Hope the child is recovered and back in school soon

9. Just re-read this bit:
    Alternative arrangements would seem highly unlikely and parents def don't need to be pestered about some daft bit of paperwork! In terms of your percentage woes, your own performance management ought to be based on teacher assessment (and if not you can certainly argue it in this case). Try to forget the league table as there is nowt you can do about it, and there are plenty of other things to think about in this job! Concentrate on the other 18 chn in your class for the next few weeks (who will prob be very worried about their buddy too). And if Ofsted or your LEA start asking questions, your HT needs to grow a pair and set them straight!

10. <u>Look at section 4.11 of the 'Assessment and Reporting arrangements'</u>. This is for children who are working at the level but are unable to access the test.
    You can award a 'T' - Teacher asssessment grade on the attendance register. You need to be able to prove the child is working at the level you state.
    The guidance states a 'T' can be given for:
    -children who have spent time in hospital towards the end of the keystage.
    I hope this helps.[​IMG]

11. Thanks for all your replies. Some of you misunderstood my worries. Obviously the child is my first priority, he is an SEN pupil who has worked incredibly hard this year to move from a high 3b to a 4b across the board. He (and his parents) are incredibly upset and do not wish him to miss the tests.

The loss of 5% doesn't bother me, I just think it is absolutely ridiculous and completely unfair that in a society where we as teachers are judged on our results and league table positions that when an incident completely out of anyone's predictions or control completely skews the data and information displayed. I am talking about parents and general society here, obviously the LEA etc are made aware but Joe Public just sees that score and the position in the table and doesn't ask whether the data is valid or reliable.

Anyway, I have agreed to go over to his house immediately after I administer the tests in school and administer the test for him.

Fingers crossed.

12. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

I really hope you rethink this. The child is in a neck brace and on a liquid diet. If you have to go round, then take a get well card from the class. Tell the parents that he has worked hard and you are using teacher assessment and not to worry about the test.