1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Heartbreak

Discussion in 'Personal' started by josienig, Mar 21, 2016.

1. josienig

josienig Star commenter

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Link doesn't go to a story but a BBC menu screen.

Might want to check that.

josienig likes this.
  3. josienig

josienig Star commenter

4. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

lanokia and josienig like this.
  5. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

There are no words.....

6. inky

inky Lead commenter

It's sad beyond words, yes, but can we think about leaving it here? Endless expressions of long-distance grief, however sincere, won't help the family.

I mean absolutely no offence towards the posters before me, by the way. It just doesn't seem to serve any purpose to turn it into a long-running thread. I'm sure we can take it as read that everybody finds this terrible to contemplate.

Sorry if I've upset anyone.

minnie me likes this.
  7. josienig

josienig Star commenter

You're probably right @inky, although it's not long distance for me..the accident happened in a place I know very well. I suppose I wanted to highlight the heroism of the young man who was able to rescue the 4 month old baby and has thus given some glimmer of hope to the devastated family.

8. josienig

josienig Star commenter

@inky Forgot to add that I'm not offended or upset by your comment.

9. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

All over Irish news (MrSK brought the Irish Sky card when we moved here. Very tragic but doesn't make sense - why was the car resting on a downward angled pier? Why didn't the others try to get out? It is a terrible loss of life, it just seems odd....

10. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

The locals say that tourists often try to turn cars around on the slipway but locals never do as they know how slippery the slipway is with all the algae growth.
    It would appear that they were unable to open the electric windows and only managed to smash one window.

josienig likes this.
  11. josienig

josienig Star commenter

@sabrinakat..it would appear that the driver was using the slipway as a place to do a turn-around, not realising that it was covered in algae. They couldn't get purchase and slid further back..by the time they knew they were in difficulty, they were in the water and the backwash pulled the car into the sea. The emergency services were called at that point and a young man swam out toward the car.. the driver eventually managed to break a window and was able to get his baby out and give her to the young man..he could have escaped himself but stayed with the others in the car. The baby girl was brought to safety and was released from hospital this evening. The whole tragic incident happened within about 10 minutes.

12. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

The young man deserves a medal.

13. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

There are no words.