1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Heart attack - am I being realistic

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Herefordian, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Herefordian

Herefordian New commenter

Hello there

I would like advice as to whether I am being realistic.

I am a head of department.

I had a heart attack 7 months ago and have been awaiting treatment since. This means I have been off work, with a understanding school.

I have had external cardioversion to correct arrhythmia and in three and a half weeks I have a triple heart bypass to undergo.

My question is, am I being realistic in planning to return to teaching after convalescence?

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Only your cardiac consultant or a medic could give you the answer to this.

However I have one friend who had a pacemaker fitted in his 60s and at 69 he is still working - not as a teacher though his work is physically demanding.

My mother suffered a myocardial infarction at 44, returned to work unto 60 an lived till she was 89, so with treatment these days it is possible to have a really good quality of life and heart attacks are no longer the major 'death knell' they once were.

3. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

Absolutely.

I'm pretty sure that heart attacks, like strokes, vary enormously. Your cardiologist would be the person with all the available information that you need.

Presumably you've done some research, e.g.:

https://www.bhf.org.uk/informationsupport/heart-matters-magazine/wellbeing/returning-to-work

https://www.bhf.org.uk/informations...ning-to-work/10-tips-for-getting-back-to-work

pepper5 likes this.
  4. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

How old are you? A CABG is a fairly routine op these days. There is no reason not to go back to teaching depending on your general health. Weight, diabetes, cholesterol, other vascular issues, smoker, family history etc. It will be a long convalescence though so take your time. I know a vicar who had a quadruple at age 40 and is still vicaring at the age of 70.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. Herefordian

Herefordian New commenter

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I am fifty in 3 months and have taught for 25 years.

I have numerous factors that caused my coronary artery disease, including hypertension, lifestyle and family history.

Thank you to all those who responded. I guess, having waited so long since my heart attack, I am simultaneously anxious to get my operation out of the way and worried about it

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Great advice given so far. Your cardiologist and medical team are the people to advise you. Just want to send very best wishes for your surgery and a speedy recovery.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.