1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hearing indivual readers in y1

Discussion in 'Primary' started by modgepodge, Mar 26, 2012.

1. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

I'm an nqt teaching a y1 class, I took over in January. At the beginning of the year the expectation was set with parents that an adult would hear each child read twice per week, and I believe on the whole this happened. However, the nature of y1 means that it gets more formal as the year goes on, and as a result I now do an input then all kids go and do work at their tables for most Maths an lit lessons. I work with a group and so does the TA. however, this leaves VERY little time for reading. I don't have a TA on Mondays so no readers then. Tues, wed and thurs I hear 1child during assembly. My TA does this in thurs and fri but can't on other days. I have her 1 afternoon per week which is when a lot of the reading gets done. However it's got to the stage that I'm having to give up my ppa and nqt time to hear readers just to get through them once (let alone the twice the parents expect) and I've had a couple of complaints. We do do guided reading once per week so they all get heard then too. The most frustrating thing is that the other class have a parent helper 2mormings per week, I should too but due to their work commitments I now don't. Plus the other TA isn't as good as mine (an advantage to me, obviously) so I think she just sits and listens to readers almost all the time. So e other class generally get heard twice, mine not even once.

Anyway. Should I stop my TA working with a group and get her to plough on with readers? I dont thing that's using her effectively but I don't know anymore.

Thoughts?????

2. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

Send out a letter asking for more parent helpers. You have no support in the pm at all? Guided reading counts as hearing them read once a week. This is what most of us do, most teachers don't have time to hear them an extra time after guided reading. Were they doing guided reading at the start of the year? If you really want to fit in more reading, what about as they first come in, in the morning? Or during a playtime? I only hear them read 2 pages if reading 1:1 (unless a very low level book). Speak to your partner teacher.

3. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

Could you get a letter out asking for parents to volunteer some time? You shouldn't be giving up PPA or NQT time, as other things will suffer. I work in Y5, so I am not sure whether it is generally thought necessary to listen to children read in school twice a week. If it is - here are a few ideas. Could you have a child read to you whilst the rest of the class are silent reading (straight after lunch break maybe)? Would it work to have a child read to you whilst the others get on with an early work task? Is your TA free to take children out for reading during the input stage of a lesson - or at the end of a lesson when children are clearing up? If your computers are as unreliable as ours - maybe the TA could listen to a child read whilst waiting for the computers to boot up!

4. queenlit

queenlit New commenter

5. Could you plan 2 guided reading sessions per child a week and not bother with individual readers unless they are really poor readers? It would be a much better use of yours and your TAs time. How about straight after lunch is guided reading time. Both you and TA take a group each on the afternoon she is in. You take a group every other day in the afternoon and fit a group in during assembly times. You could have a carosel of 'reading activities' whilst you are reading with a group. They could be doing follow up work on the reading they did the day before...great for APP, you could have a topic box of books to read, some phonics activities, motor skills activities etc.
    Also do ask for any parent helpers, even if it is the first half an hour in the morning or the last half an hour before home time.

6. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

Thanks for suggestions.
    No support in the afternoons except for once per week when we have a TA - annoyingly on my nqt release afternoon! She listens to a lot then. Apart from that, no support in the afternoon.

Parent helpers, I don't think (but will check) I'm allowed to send out a letter asking them, think it has to be a central thing. We have a school rule that parents cannot help in their own child's class, which probably limits how many are interested (but those that we do get are there for the right reasons!) will ask for a letter to go out.

Guided reading is a 40min session where we pull all available adults in to my class, then the other class, so all groups do it at once. We do not have space on the timetable to do this a second time.

Mine do quiet reading twice per week after lunch (pe sessions mean 2 other afternoons are a mad rush to get changed) and I do listen to a reader then. I don't have a TA at this time so they can't do the same. Also, realistically I can't get through more than 1 readerin that time as y1 really aren't capable of silent reading, they will do quiet reading for 10-15mins then they start to get fractious and my attention is needed to break up arguments!

Like the idea of a guided reading stamp. May keep some parents quiet!

Thanks for all ideas. I think the biggest thing is parent helpers. Wish I had a TA in the afternoons too - on my placement I had 2!!!

7. Not ideal but I get TA to hear readers during my whole class input...it does mean people wandering in and out but the children just sneak in and whisper to the next person to go! They seem to manage fine missing 5 mins of the input. Then TA will come in and work with a group when we have finished the input.
    We have parent helpers too but also a couple of unconnected retired people... maybe you could put a notice up somewhere that old people hang out asking for help :)

8. Could you set up a buddy/paired reading system where Year 5 pupils come and hear pupils read for a short time, perhaps one afternoon a week straight after lunch, or at the end of a day? The older pupils could be trained to ask questions on relevant AFs, perhaps with prompt cards of question examples/starters. This would benefit them too. There will probably be enough pupils for all to do this at once. It would have benefits for the older pupils too.

I'd shift the emphasis from you and the TA just 'hearing' them read. If you are including each pupil in guided reading each week, then they are receiving more input and this is a much more efficient and purposeful use of the time. The child needs lots of practice reading aloud but this does not have to be heard by you. The professionals should be teaching strategies to take them forward, not just trying to superficially get around everyone. I hope this doesn't read like a criticism - I'm meaning to back you up, saying that you shouldn't have to worry about this.

This means the parents have to play their part too. Perhaps you could set up a chart where you can give each child a stamp to show they read at home the previous night. This way, they will be reading daily - just not to you. Apologies if you already have something like this!

If you can get these things agreed in school, perhaps it would be worth then having a meeting with the parents where you explain what you have put in place and the rationale behind these systems. If they see that you are making the most effective use of teaching and learning time so that their children get the best use of your skills, they should have nothing to complain about.

9. A school I supplied in listened to readers during the last 10-15 minutes of lunchtime. The children knew which day was their reading day and would come in immediately when called and quietly read after choosing a new book while they were waiting. If you and maybe a TA could do this, then that might help?
    I think guided reading should count as once in the week, and once 1:1 (but only reading a page or 2 so you can squeeze more in)?!

10. I don't know how you organise your guided reading session but this is how I do mine (i do do it 4 times a week, which I know is not what you are able to do)
    The children are split in to 4 groups and rotate around during the week:
    Group 1 - Guided reading with me - i write in their home records how they have done
    Group 2 - reading with TLA - they also write a comment in their home record
    Group 3 - follow up activity to GR session previous day
    Group 4 - computer activity/phonics games
    I also hear the children read during our Libray session once a week and I also have 1 parent helper who comes in one afternoon a week to hear the children read. So in all the children get heard 4 times a week, either with their home reader or guided reading book.

I would definitely put out a request to see if you can get some more parent helpers in.

11. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

What did you do in the end OP?
    As a parent I think you need to speak more to the parents who have "complained" - I assume they have just moaned to you, not made a formal complaint, to find out why it concerns them.
    I am a pretty well-informed parent and I can now teach my own children to read using SP, but these are the things that nevertheless can concern me about reading at school:
    - not knowing whether my children are reading anything at all at school, either to themselves or to an adult
    - not knowing what the school thinks about my child's reading and what needs to improve next
    - in the past, not knowing how best to help when my child read to me at home - that's not an issue now, but it was me that did something about that, I would still be in the dark otherwise
    - because I have so little info from schoo, I have a feeling that if I was to work full-time my children might never read anything at all if I wasn't around after school to make it happen
    - a feeling that if an untrained volunteer hears my child in the early stages they might not be the "best" person for the job - the school should train them if they are using synthetic phonics
    - not knowing what they are reading or when in guided reading
    Why don't you ask the school to put out a request and to offer some training to the volunteers? They could expain to parents that if a huge effort is put into years R, 1 and 2 it will have massive benefits higher up the school. Even years R 1 and 2 parents could just swap around there might be a big enough pool to make a difference unless they all work full-time or they are all illiterate.
    Certainly the parents who are complaining I would explain to them the limitations and give them better guidance on how to hear reading at home themselves, and then communicate with them regularly via the reading record so they don't feel they are just writing stuff down and it's falling on deaf ears.
    Think you have to turn these parents round in your mind's eye from complaining parents to interested and concerned parents who you could usefully harness.
    I certainly feel that if a teacher had to listen to children for the amount of time each week that would really improve their reading you would never have any time to teach the class anything. I think most parents can quickly see this with a few simple calculations. But there have got to be other things in place so they feel comfortable about all the other reading arrangements that are in place for their child.