1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hearing impaired teacher and targets set

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by goatherd, Mar 8, 2011.

1. goatherd

goatherd New commenter

I am an NQT who wears two hearing aids, and has an external microphone (MyLink) system to improve sound pick up.
    I can hear and teach without any hearing aids (and have done when they have been being repaired - or I have forgotten them). Usually I have no issues, although I can struggle to hear the quieter girls talking, or especially asking questions.
    However, I have just had an observation, where I was told I was mono-tonal (not been mentioned before), and have been set a target of "Vary the tone of your voice to improve
    motivation". This is not going to be easy to do - as I don't actually hear myself speak. Does anybody have any suggestions please?

Thanks

2. goatherd

goatherd New commenter

I am an NQT who wears two hearing aids, and has an external microphone (MyLink) system to improve sound pick up.
    I can hear and teach without any hearing aids (and have done when they have been being repaired - or I have forgotten them). Usually I have no issues, although I can struggle to hear the quieter girls talking, or especially asking questions.
    However, I have just had an observation, where I was told I was mono-tonal (not been mentioned before), and have been set a target of "Vary the tone of your voice to improve
    motivation". This is not going to be easy to do - as I don't actually hear myself speak. Does anybody have any suggestions please?

Thanks

3. I would be going to your Disability Equality Scheme first of all. It really depends on how you view the school and this person. I can see that varying your tone would be difficult if you cannot hear yourself, although i am not deaf and have no great experience with deaf people. So why can't this idiot? It is like saying to someone with an accent to lose the accent, only worse!
    Have you declared your disability? Not the same as people knowing. Do you have a mentor? Could you have a word with them? Are you in a union? Can you have a word with them? I would not advocate you making a complaint or anything like that, but I think you need to make clear that you are not really in a position, without speech therapy I suppose to change this, and it seems like a very bizarre and hugely unfair thing to comment on.
    Try not to take it to heart, it is hard enough being an NQT I should think. If you are managing with everything else the kids probably like you and that is half the battle.

4. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

Surely they realised when they employed you how you sounded? I'd explain to your mentor how difficult it is and why. It could be worth contacting OH or Acess to Work.

5. I am training to be a teacher and have just learned too that I need to improve my voice level and intonation. I was upset by this as my belief has always been that I talk well. I tried my brother's hearing aids out of desperation to see if this made a difference and it did. I am yet to try it in the class and I am in the process of getting my own but in the meantime I am borrowing my brothers hearing aids. They are Oticon Spirit 3 Power, there was an immediate improvement, I could hear my voice and my family said I was much clearer and louder. If you don't already have these, contact your audiologist for advice, explain the problem, I am sure they will be able to help you with this if they can help me as I have a profound hearing loss. Good Luck

6. goatherd

goatherd New commenter

I have dual hearing aids - but struggle to hear my owntone of voice.
    If you are training as a studen, as opposed to GTP, then you can get assistance from Disabled Student Allowance.
    I got a MyLink/ZoomLink system from Connevans, which is basically an external microphone linked to a personal loop system. This does make an even greater boost - and is a constant reminder to the kids of the need for them to speak clearly, as it is like having two necklaces :)
    If you want anymore info, send me a pm.

7. goatherd - do you have to be within a certain distance of the speaker for this aid to work?

8. Under the new equality act you have some pretty good rights, you obviously need full time support. The school needs to employ a full time 'interpreter' for you. They will listen to what you say and then repeat it to the class with a varying tone of voice.
    I suggest you write to them and insist on this 'adjustment'.

Sotty sarchasm overload, was there any way they didn't know you are HI?

They are basically telling you to dosoemthing you can't do. I walk with a stick, it's like them telling me to not use my stick when I teach.
    Not sure how you should handle this, maybe print this out and send it to the observer