1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hearing aids- Private v NHS

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Happy Chappy, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Hi
    Was just wondering if anyone out there know the answer to a few of my questions?
    I was diagnosed with a hearing loss about 2 years ago. I have constantly tried to wear my NHS plastic moulds and have been to two different types of private hearing aid suppliers. The trouble is that my NHS aids don't actually aid me- especially in the environment that I teach in ( i teach Year 1). Whilst the open air digital aid is better for my moderate hearing loss- I can't actually afford the £2000 cost, and am currently finding that I need to wear something as I do miss parts of conversations.
    Up to know- been struggling along, and I wanted to know if I can claim anything on private health care insurance we have with school (main stream school). Has anyone done this? Apparently can't claim on NHS as primary care trust don't do the aid I need!
    Would like to hear from anyone who currently wears hearing aids and teaches. What are the children's reactions?

2. Hi
    Was just wondering if anyone out there know the answer to a few of my questions?
    I was diagnosed with a hearing loss about 2 years ago. I have constantly tried to wear my NHS plastic moulds and have been to two different types of private hearing aid suppliers. The trouble is that my NHS aids don't actually aid me- especially in the environment that I teach in ( i teach Year 1). Whilst the open air digital aid is better for my moderate hearing loss- I can't actually afford the £2000 cost, and am currently finding that I need to wear something as I do miss parts of conversations.
    Up to know- been struggling along, and I wanted to know if I can claim anything on private health care insurance we have with school (main stream school). Has anyone done this? Apparently can't claim on NHS as primary care trust don't do the aid I need!
    Would like to hear from anyone who currently wears hearing aids and teaches. What are the children's reactions?

3. Hi
    I am in a similar position. I have a severe hearing loss in both ears and gave up with the NHS aids as all they did was make everything louder not clearer. Teaching phonics to KS1 is very tricky.
    I now wear phonak ambre and am in the process of trying to get them part funded by school as a reasonable adjustment for my job. Have you tried Access to Work? Also trying to raise the issue of deaf awareness at school so people understand that hearing aids do not restore your hearing to normal like glasses do for sight problems.

4. Thanks for the reply- its been awhile since I have been on here. Looking itno your advice now.