1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Healthy disagreement and debate ...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by circuskevin, Oct 14, 2019.

1. circuskevin

circuskevin Occasional commenter

I am disappointed to see the thread about making beer has disappeared.

I was going to offer other suggestions to the OP in that thread to teach his special needs pupils.

Duke of York had put a nice story on about turning round school failures by teaching them practical skills.

Threads like that should remain so the next teacher thinking about doing similar could find it ... :)

Kevin

2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Pre-National Curriculum I worked in one comprehensive school where the 'SEN' class (as it was called then) ran a school allotment (almost a small arable farm, really quite large), and in another they took on financing the training of a guide dog for the blind each year. Both seemed extremely valid in social and community terms. But the NC stopped them.

3. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

The term "education" is used for what the very restricted and proscribed NC does to kids. It is not actually "education", more like "indoctrination".

monicabilongame likes this.
  4. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

The OP of that thread posted that he'd requested it to be pulled.

sbkrobson likes this.
  5. circuskevin

I know. @peakster suggested it should be pulled first. He should not have done so in my humble opinion.

People have all sorts of 'good' ideas which perhaps need thinking through all the consequences.

Personally I would love to see it restored as an example of 'healthy disagreement and debate'.

Kevin

ShowerGel likes this.
  6. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

The OP stated quite categorically that they did not want their thread to remain.
    I have to say, they were very good natured and equable in the face of lots of criticism of their idea (maybe that is what you refer to), but they decided not to let the thread remain.
    It was not a mods' decision to disappear the thread, so if you want to reinstate that particular discussion, start it again.

Jamvic and nomad like this.
  7. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

As I pointed out in the thread, although it's probably not a good idea to brew alcohol on the school premises, mostly due to probability of it attracting negative news articles, there's the possibility of having some good and sensible lessons about how alcohol is made and how the various flavours are created, as well as understanding how it affects the body when it gets abused.

It's not like kids will never encounter alcohol in the supermarkets etc. and whether or not people wish to imbibe, it forms a substantial part of the economy, so why not discuss it in school?

8. ShowerGel

ShowerGel Lead commenter

Nothing like a good healthy debate.
    I have a new lodger and he's brilliant.
    Young and German. Has that got anything to do with being more honest, less personal and more open minded do you think?

LondonCanary likes this.
  9. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Don't normalise it in school.

10. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

What do you disagree about?

11. colpee

colpee Star commenter

12. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I hope you enjoy your 'debate'!

13. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Ooh fun, I do like a country and age based generalisation!
    The last young German lodger we had used to come down to breakfast in his underpants and socks and tell us how bad for humankind it was to have a fry up in the morning. I think we were very open minded on those occasions, despite being (almost) old and (partly) British. There's nothing harder to smile at than an underpanted twenty something German vocally disapproving of your one remaining pleasure in life in your own home.
    The young German lodger we had before that kept mentioning the war. That was refreshing, and he was especially nice as he took extra care not to mention Brexit.
    I expect he'd been briefed by his compatriots.

14. ShowerGel

ShowerGel Lead commenter

I've had about 10 young German lodgers now and they've all been quite similar. The last one was very interested in Brexit and we talked about that and I've talked about food a lot with all of them.
    I have found them so well behaved, easy to chat with about just about anything and have felt I know where I stand with them.
    Other Nationalities not so much of any of the above.
    They all seem easy going which is good.

15. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I showed an episode of 'Allo 'Allo to some pre-Abitur German students some years ago, they loved it and were in absolute hysterics.

16. circuskevin

So what was his username?

I could invite him to ring for a chat about ideas for his pupils.

If he lives locally he can buy me a pint and I shall show him how to make a balloon dog ... :)

Kevin

coffeekid likes this.