1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"Healthy" as essential criteria

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by s10327, Oct 12, 2018.

1. s10327

s10327 Occasional commenter

Been a while since I looked for teaching jobs - slightly startled to see "healthy" and "good attendance" as Essential criteria on one. Is this a thing now? Medical clearance required. Again: what can I expect that to mean?

2. rustyfeathers

rustyfeathers Occasional commenter

...isn't this discrimination?
    I can understand good attendance (though disagree - what if you'd just had bad luck? Illness, broken leg, death in the family) but "healthy".
    I have a chronic illness and a separate but compounding disability - which also impacts my ability to exercise so I am not fit enough to run up two flights of stairs (even if I could make that attempt without at least 3 joints attempting to dislocate).
    I am not "healthy". I'm still a decent teacher who does their work and helps the kids progress. My attendance is in line with everyone else (and sometimes better, because I don't always NOTICE I've caught a bug.)
    It'd be a red flag to me, frankly.

3. s10327

s10327 Occasional commenter

Yes, I decided against! And I thought discriminatory too. Just checking whether I'd missed a change.

agathamorse likes this.
  4. rustyfeathers

rustyfeathers Occasional commenter

I've not heard of one - and I suspect I would have done, as many of my friends are disability activists.

I suspect they're not even thought about the implications. Maybe they have high staff absence (in itself a red flag due to likelihood of WRS?)

agathamorse likes this.
  5. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Yes it does raise concerns about the managements perceptions and their awareness of employment legislation . Fit to teach is an essential criteria for all posts- if there is a particular disability then reasonable workplace adjustment is required. Most posts now require a confidential medical questionnaire to be completed as part of the appointment process.

agathamorse likes this.