1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

'Health & Safety' gone mad?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Morninglover, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Ugh. You do have to wear a life-jacket, I hope. And have a torch and whistle? Like this?

Below is the minimum standard I would expect.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Ugh. You do have to wear a life-jacket, I hope. And have a torch and whistle? Like this?

Below is the minimum standard I would expect.

[​IMG]

4. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Mad indeed.

Tesco wouldn't let me walk down a stationary travelator because of 'health and safety'. They didn't seem to see that it couldn't possibly be more dangerous than walking down it when it was moving. And they said it didn't matter that I was inconvenienced because they were no worse than Asda.

5. WaylonWu

WaylonWu Established commenter

Totally crazy. It's not as if they were driving one of these

6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Last time I was on a punt [July] I was exceedingly drunk and have a great time.

7. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Thank god that H&S have finally got around to one of the most dangerous modes of transport. Those swans can be nasty! Definitely need a drink after being attacked on the Cherwell by one of them......

___________________________________________________________________________________
    damnant quod non intellegunt - (anybody want to tell me how to add this tagline?)

bombaysapphire likes this.
  8. sabrinakat

ps. do you think we can get those yellow jackets in college colours? That would be super cool!

9. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I can just see this:

The water is here, here and here. In the event of fire please jump in.

As it says in the article, it isn't the chauffeured punts which caused the problems. We used to hire a punt regularly when I was a student. Someone fell in every time.

10. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Do punt chauffeurs call their passengers punters? Is it a job that Poles would be good at?

11. sabrinakat

or was pushed? Or was it one of those swans...?

12. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

The most common cause was refusing to let go of the pole!

sabrinakat likes this.
  13. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Lessons required from the gondoliers perhaps!

14. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Father of a colleague of mine is a self-employed gardener. He was working in someone's garden on a shoulder-high fence when - according to this colleague (tho I can't see how this works) HSE turned up and demanded to know why he was not wearing a hi-vis coat (not the vest, but the all-weather and bullet-proof jacket) and a hard hat. In 20 degrees C!

15. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Several hi vis jackets and hard hats in pink around here!

16. WaylonWu

WaylonWu Established commenter