1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Health related question

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by lonelyteacher, Jul 12, 2020.

1. lonelyteacher

lonelyteacher New commenter

I was filling in an application when this questions comes up (and it was not even in the equality opportunities form)

Are you and have you been in good health?
    (you must disclose any relevant medical history)

I thought they couldn't ask this anymore in an application. Why should we disclose medical history without a job offer?

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

They can't. It's a breach of section 60 Equality Act 2010 (assuming this is a UK employer for a job in the UK).

If you feel so inclined you could report them to the EHRC.

https://www.equalityhumanrights.com...your-health-or-disability-you-are-offered-job

It's a very inept question anyway, which makes me think the employer has no professional HR advice. After all, what is meant by "good"? It's a subjective question. If they really wanted an unambiguous answer they should have asked for your precise sickness absence record over the last 3 - 5 years (but I don't want to put ideas into their head!).

The tricky bit for you is if you still want the job but do have a disability or health history which is less than "good", how do you answer. We can all guess that writing 'this question is not permitted under the Equality Act' will guarantee you aren't short-listed, and ignoring it will result in the form being sent back to you for completion of the question.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
    TheoGriff and agathamorse like this.
  3. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

I think I'd write something like - 'Pretty fair, all things considered'.

4. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Or maybe - 'Musn't grumble'