1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Health problem - yes I know and I'm sorry...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by helenemdee, Feb 3, 2019.

  1. helenemdee

    helenemdee Occasional commenter

    ...because it should be on the Health and Wellbeing forum and it is there as well, but this page is busier and I'm really hoping for some help from anyone who has suffered with back pain.

    I've had lower back pain now for 7 days. It has progressed from just hurting when I bend over to hurting all the time except when sitting or lying down on my side - just standing still causes a dull ache and sitting down or getting up or twisting is becoming something to dread - everything seems to jar it. Bending over usually requires holding on to something as support the last couple of days. Getting into and out of the car and turning over in bed is the worst! I'm pretty active with walking, swimming, going to the gym and still been doing that (but taking it steady) thinking it might help, but no. Debating seeing a doctor, but not sure whether they can help and in any case I can't get there for at least a couple of days. Do I just need to rest it? Please help, I feel like an old woman at 32! Thank you so much.
  2. towncryer

    towncryer Lead commenter

    I would see a doctor ASAP.
    I don't think you can afford to wait when it's your back...so many other parts of the body rely on your back being healthy.
    Until you see a doctor you should take it very very easy...get others to lift and cook and clean for you if you can and ditch the stiff upper lip.
    Take some strong painkillers and anti inflammatory in the meantime...but then don't be fooled into moving around once the pain has dulled.

    I hear its a long wait in the UK to see a dr. Anyway you can get seen quickly?
  3. florian gassmann

    florian gassmann Star commenter

    Yes, do try to see a doctor as soon as possible. I had something similar years ago - went to the GP who arranged for an MRI scan that revealed a trap nerve (one of the most common reasons for back and neck pain). Eventually sorted by a physiotherapist.

    Not if its urgent. Figures from last year show that 40% of patients were seen the same day by a GP. The "long wait" claims come about because the stats include people like my wife who book an appointment for a monthly injection four weeks in advance. This is recorded as a "four week wait" - daft, isn't it! The only trouble with same-day consultations is that they may be with the practice's triage doctor (or one of the other doctors in the practice) rather than with your regular GP.
  4. Weald56

    Weald56 Established commenter

    As advised above, see your Doctor. Back pain can be long lasting if not dealt with correctly, so the GP won't think you are wasting their time.
    towncryer and agathamorse like this.
  5. dunnocks

    dunnocks Star commenter

    go and see a doctor, we can't possible advise

    maybe, maybe not, sometimes it is the worst thing to do. We can't judge, see a doctor.
  6. dunnocks

    dunnocks Star commenter

    I once had severe back pain which turned out to be mechanical damage which required constant movement, prescribed exercises and anti inflammatory drugs

    I once had sever back pain which felt the same but turned out to be a kidney infection which required required immediate hospital admission, bed rest and intravenous drugs
  7. koopatroopa

    koopatroopa Senior commenter

    See the doctor, and keep seeing the doctor until they make a diagnosis and offer successful treatment.
    agathamorse likes this.
  8. susanrk

    susanrk Occasional commenter

    When I had back pain an osteopath was much more helpful than a doctor. Other friends use a chiropractor. You'll have to pay though. Doctors just prescribed painkillers.
    smoothnewt and mothorchid like this.
  9. lindenlea

    lindenlea Star commenter

    I take ibuprofen to cut down inflammation and keep moving gently. The pain killers mean I don't add to the problem by tensing up and spreading the muscle pain. I sleep with a pillow between my knees so I don't slip into a twisted shape at night. When mine is bad I lie on my back on the floor or the bed with knees bent and gently rock my knees from side to side. That's what I do, it might be right for you or not. See the doc.
  10. mothorchid

    mothorchid Star commenter

    Osteopath. They helped me immensely when I had back trouble. I now go about once or twice a year and they help my migraines. Worth every penny.
    needabreak and smoothnewt like this.
  11. Mangleworzle

    Mangleworzle Star commenter

    I had something similar some years ago, thought it would go away but it didn't. I went to the doctor who just suggested painkillers, but at least determined it wasn't something that needed other treatment.

    I then went to a chiropractor in town for a couple of sessions which sorted it out almost immediately, she also showed me some exercises to do at home. There's been 2-3 times where I've thought it might be returning so I do the exercises and that has stopped the pain in its tracks. Make sure you wear modest underwear for the chiropractors visit!
    mothorchid and smoothnewt like this.
  12. smoothnewt

    smoothnewt Star commenter

    I second the advice about the osteopath / chiropractor. You'll get a hands-on investigation and probable manipulation / treatment on the spot which will improve things considerably.

    I periodically have back problems and always bypass the doctor. I had severe hip pain; the osteopath diagnosed bursitis of the hip and started work straight away to alleviate the pain and move things forwards.

    About 18 months ago something "went" in my lower back as I walked across the school playground carrying a heavy bag. By the time I got to my desk I literally couldn't sit down (excruciating pain). I went straight to the osteo, who did some immediate treatment as a result of which I could sit down. It took a while, and further treatment, but there's no way I could have waited for a doctor's appointment.

    Best wishes for a speedy recovery!
    Mangleworzle likes this.
  13. InkyP

    InkyP Star commenter

    I know people who swear by their osteopath. My husband, on the other hand, does mri scans on the damage done by osteopaths. You pay your money you take your choice.
  14. mothorchid

    mothorchid Star commenter

    Indeed, I think it would be a good plan to get it checked out first by a GP. Possible kidney issues were mentioned earlier, for example. But my experience of osteopaths is very positive. That is all I can lay claim to.
  15. Aquamarina1234

    Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

    None of the osteos, chiros and physios are going to be much use without a diagnosis. See your GP, tell him/her all the things you've tried so far without success and specifically ask for investigation leading to diagnosis. Otherwise you'll walk out with a prescription for painkillers and possibly an appointment with a physio in 3 months' time.
  16. sparklepig2002

    sparklepig2002 Star commenter

    I would go to a doctor over an osteopath anytine. I had excellent treatment from my doctor for back problems. Pain killers, which I needed, referral to a physiotherapist and hospital consultant, appropriate scans and treatment. Couldn't fault my treatment. Make sure any osteopath you see is fully qualified. There are some sharks out there. You cannot afford to take chances with something as important as your back. Back pain can also be symptoms of more sinister diseases that an osteopath wouldn't necessarily know about.
    InkyP likes this.
  17. racroesus

    racroesus Star commenter

    Do the exercises go to the doctor for metho-carbamol. Don't get the medication until after the Brexit shortages get cleared so that I can get mine. Mentioning your age is not a good thing in my opinion.
  18. racroesus

    racroesus Star commenter

    Lucky for you but in this part of the UK money for the NHS isn't handed out *****-nilly: we understand the need to prioritise spending to suit chicken farmers.
  19. gruoch

    gruoch Established commenter

    GP for diagnosis.
    Then take it from there.
    Speaking as someone who has just knackered her sacroiliac joint for the second time!
  20. Ivartheboneless

    Ivartheboneless Star commenter

    Doctor. Back pain can be muscle strains which should get better with time. They can be something worse though, which is why you need the doc, now.

Share This Page