1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Health Care in Dubai

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by MELLIS, Jun 17, 2015.

1. MELLIS

MELLIS New commenter

I've accepted a job in Dubai. The school provides health care for me but not for my wife and kids. It's proving surprisingly difficult to find quotes on line other than AXA. Anyone got any advice...?

2. spam66

spam66 New commenter

That is unusual. Most good schools would offer it to spouse and family. Personally, I wouldn't accept a job in Dubai that didn't offer healthcare for my family. Will they not even offer anything at concessionary rates? Bit of a poor show. Sorry if that is not what you want to hear.

3. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

agree with spam this is unusual and I would not have accepted that job. So will the school not help you with visas for your family either? That is expensive and time consuming.

4. MELLIS

MELLIS New commenter

Healthcare, visas and flights all coming out of my own pocket I'm afraid. Had many interviews since Christmas and this really was the best deal on offer. 17 other newbies starting and they don't seem too bothered. Fingers crossed it will be an amazing school as I am intending a long term stay....

5. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

Sorry Mellis, a good school would have welcomed your family too. Are you paying for accommodation? This will all eat up your salary and Dubai is an expensive place.

6. MELLIS

MELLIS New commenter

Accommodation is free but I am paying for utilities. Have to say I was getting rather desperate. I was interviewed on 31st May!!!! School has a great reputation

7. karel

karel Occasional commenter

I agree with others in that I would never accept a position if the school wasn't prepared to pay medical and flights for my family. I know that not all schools do this however. Your original questions hasn't really been answered and I'm not sure that many people on here would have a good answer for you - since most people don't have to worry about making such arrangements. My advice would be to try to get medical insurance with the same company that your own insurance is with. There must be certain advantages of the family having insurance with the same company, and surely the school will at least help you arrange it, maybe at a reduced rate. Its not something I have ever had to do, but this would be my initial plan I think. Hope you mange to get things sorted and that the school is all that you hope it to be.

8. MELLIS

MELLIS New commenter

Thanks Karel, that's very sound advice

9. PuRe

PuRe Occasional commenter

I knew teachers in a similar position pay for their family members through their school, just being billed the extra..

10. musodubs

musodubs New commenter

Same as my school and I was able to add my spouse and chid for around 5000Dhs each to the health insurance (gives you an idea of cost) I also had to do flights and visas - visas are easy enough ONCE you get to the stage of going to the offices in person - bit of a 'mare getting to that point though! Make sure everything you can lay your hands on is stamped and sealed! Also - birth certificate of child has to be the one which has the names of mum and dad on it (the one we had issued in the UK didn't have so we had to pay for an upgraded one!)

11. musodubs

musodubs New commenter

Forgot to say - i agree with the point that it is expensive here - we didn't take the school accommodation and the allowance of 90k paid half of what we have (3 bed). We are leaving as can't afford to stay on the salary! My school has a good name and is a lovely place BUT the financial peeps are a little ungenerous with regard to salary