1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Health and Social Care Textbooks

Discussion in 'Social sciences' started by ellis_j, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Hi, I am applying to do a HSC SCITT course and given that my degree is Sociology/Social Policy, and was done years ago (!) I'm hoping to do some self-learning to improve/refresh my subject knowledge. Can anyone tell me what the best textbooks would be for GCSE/A-Level/BTEC courses on HSC?
    Thanks.

2. Hi, I am applying to do a HSC SCITT course and given that my degree is Sociology/Social Policy, and was done years ago (!) I'm hoping to do some self-learning to improve/refresh my subject knowledge. Can anyone tell me what the best textbooks would be for GCSE/A-Level/BTEC courses on HSC?
    Thanks.

3. blt

blt New commenter

Which exam board are you SCITT school delivering? The student books focus on the specific specs and for wider reading, suggestions will only really be helpful if they are on the topics you'll be teaching, e.g. some existing A-level specs have over 20 units and your school/college will do 6 of those.

4. I agree with blt. I have taught A Level, GNVQ, BTEC and GCSE HSC within my 5 yrs of teaching. Within BTEC Level 3 HSC, there are 49 possible units! BTEC Level 2 is changing (yet again), so there really is little point on revising the current spec.
    If you're worried about subject knowledge, don't stress about it too much. My degree is in Sociology and Media (not HSC) and I've managed OK, by using my real life experiences and following the relevant textbooks for the units I have taught.