1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Health and Social Care AS...any help for new teacher?

Discussion in 'Social sciences' started by lizziegrace, Aug 27, 2012.

1. lizziegrace

lizziegrace New commenter

Hi!
    I am taking on a small portion of HSC in Sept (Unit 3 CW for Y12) and would appreciate any help in how lessons would be expected to be structured etc... I am an Art Teacher so a textbook type subject is fairly alien to me - staff change all round means little info available. Is the CW completed mostly at home or at school? Are lessons mainly book or discussion based? Should students take notes for revision or is this unit just for internally assessed coursework? A level Art is a fairly "hands off" approach so I am conscious that I don't want to wade in heavy handed, nor do I want to be too free with expecting them to be self directed!!
    Thanks for any pointers.
    Lizzie

2. lizziegrace

Hi!
    I am taking on a small portion of HSC in Sept (Unit 3 CW for Y12) and would appreciate any help in how lessons would be expected to be structured etc... I am an Art Teacher so a textbook type subject is fairly alien to me - staff change all round means little info available. Is the CW completed mostly at home or at school? Are lessons mainly book or discussion based? Should students take notes for revision or is this unit just for internally assessed coursework? A level Art is a fairly "hands off" approach so I am conscious that I don't want to wade in heavy handed, nor do I want to be too free with expecting them to be self directed!!
    Thanks for any pointers.
    Lizzie

3. blt

blt New commenter

Which exam board is it?

4. lizziegrace

Edexcel (applied GCE) - I am responsible for the unit on positive care environments...

5. blt

blt New commenter

Ah - sorry - we do AQA. We used to do Edexcel but the support was - shall we say - limited! I can have a look if we have anything from the old spec still in school? We're back on Monday so would be happy to pass anything on if that helps.

6. Hiya, I am teaching that unit this year also, please could you forward some information to me also? It would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, azania13.zb@googlemail.com

7. Hi Mysti
    I'm also teaching Unit 3 - positive care environments for the first time. I'd appreciate any resources you might have to share, especially assignment briefs as I can't find much support for this. My e-mail is debs.1974@btinternet.com.
    I'd be really grateful for any help as i'm struggling a bit! Thank you.

8. Have sent you both the resources; good luck!

9. Have sent you both the resources; good luck!