1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

health and safety in the classroom

Discussion in 'Personal' started by oldsomeman, Mar 19, 2011.

1. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

My head wants us to use wall space above 6 feet (needless to say the display boards are over 6 feet) .........yet i say no way unless she supplys ladders rather than walk on surfaces.
    I thought there was ruling about this that above 2 m you had to have a person supporting the ladder(rung man) and that climbing on furniture was not to be done...Whats your view?

2. Yeah, I regularly get a row from our janny for standing on tables to pin stuff up. You are supposed to use a ladder or other proper equipment (those wee kick stool thingies).

3. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I was talking to our caretakers (site officers) recently about this joking about them having been on a course as they were carrying a ladder and it turns out they had.
    It sounds to me like your HT is out of order expecting you to do this without the proper equipment and training. Yes I know people have been up ladders in the past and not died etc. etc. but it could give you big problems (and the HT) if someone fell off and injured themselves.
    As someone who has had two falling off a ladder accidents in the last few years it's really not funny, 1st time I broke a rib, the second I landed on one knee on a concrete floor.

4. i thought teachers were not supposed to be putting displays up anyway?

5. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

If I didn't put up displays then they wouldn't get done. Apparently, our HLTAs are to spend all their time working with children and not doing "menial" tasks like displays.

6. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Its not that id dont get done...folks do.but i was just wondering as i would have to see anyone injured.Im not normally one to worry to much but they seem to take risks which even I ,as abuilder, wouldnt even consider....although i recognise in the past i have used furniture for displays.
    Teachers and staff are often their own worst enemies.