1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Health and safety gone maaaad!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Oct 8, 2018.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Erm... do they not have safety equipment?

Oh I need a lie down... no head for heights. Daughter's boyfriend erects cranes for a living, he's got the head for heights... and jumps out of planes... I'll just stay down her on the ground... nice and safe.

sadscientist and Dragonlady30 like this.
  2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Apparently only 5 workers died building the Empire state building....still too many, but fewer than might be expected after watching this film!

3. Flowersinspring

Flowersinspring Lead commenter

Oooooo- need a sit down after seeing that. And I'm already sitting down!

Dragonlady30, lanokia and kibosh like this.
  4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Considering they want to build these one kilometre high towers... I would not want to be a worker on them.

5. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I'm not even going to watch that video.

I stood at the bottom of the Empire State Building and mused for all of 60 seconds.

"You know what," I said to myself, "I don't think I'll bother." And I went to Macy's instead.

lanokia and mothorchid like this.
  6. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

The lift to the viewing section of the Empire State building is an experience,as is the view from the building. This place has other memories for me as well. Reseaching my father, it turns out he was one of those types of guys shown and worked on such high rise places.
    New York is still a wonderful place for buildings and one day I want to return to explore the city again.

7. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Wasn't a particular group of native Americans favoured for high steel work because they had no natural sense of vertigo or is that just urban legend?

By way of contrast, yesterday I was walking in wooded parkland and saw a sign saying "Beware of protruding tree roots", which was nailed to the tree, as if to punish it for having protruding roots.

8. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Tree roots. Now that IS H and S gone mad.

9. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I got a vertiginous feeling in my stomach just watching the YouTube clip! I was fine when I went up the Empire State Building though because the outside viewing platform is solid and now completely caged in. So impossible to fall.

It reminded me of that story too. A quick Google brought this up. Apparently true - it was the Mohawk Indians - but not because they had no sense of vertigo or fear.

https://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/659/why-do-so-many-native-americans-work-on-skyscrapers/

10. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

This (2013) one of engineers up a radio transmitting mast isn't for those with a fear of heights either. Once they started free-climbing I had to hide in the kitchen :eek:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  11. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

I'm just getting over an attack of Meniers (sp ?) so the very thought of the examples above give me the shakes. :eek:

12. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

8 hours without a bathroom break!! That would have disqualified me before even considering the danger. Not that I believe that factoid of course, I bet some of the drips down the side of the building would have definitely tested as urine and that quite a few bottles were ‘filled’ during construction.

13. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I get vertigo on a ladder - a step ladder

14. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Heights don't worry me at all. It's depths that are rhe problem!

lanokia likes this.
  15. sadscientist

sadscientist Senior commenter

Even more challenging when the object you're clinging to is oscillating through 60 degrees...

Eric Newby's "The Last Grain Race" is a fascinating record of the grain trade between Europe and Australia in the 1930s. It's astonishing, the level of hazard that was deemed acceptable as part of one's occupation, within living memory.

Rott Weiler and Duke of York like this.
  16. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Didnt they say in the film that 2 in 5 of the workers fell to their deaths or ended up disabled? My great grandfather was killed in a fall in London docks at the age of 35, leaving his small family without a father. Nothing good about working conditions in those days.

17. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

David Cameron pledged to kill off the Health and Safety culture.