1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Health and PE teacher looking to teach in Hong Kong

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by cclepak, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Hello,

I am a Health and Physical Education teacher. I am looking to teach at an international school in Hong Kong. I rarely see any job openings for these types of jobs. I applied as a director of sport and received a "final interview" but was not chosen. I am very motivated to come to Hong Kong to teach. Are there any tips or connections anyone has that would help me find a Health or PE teaching job?

2. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

I will ask the obvious here, you are registered with Search Associates?

Otherwise, where are you looking?

Please remember that places like Hong Kong, Singapore, Bangkok are some of the most sort after places to work in the world. When jobs do come up, there will be a lot of competition for them.

You just have to stick in there and apply for whatever comes up.

3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Some wise words from dummbells66. Yes, lots of youngish teachers apply for teaching jobs at the schools in Hong Kong, as they get excited at the thought of paying most of their salary for the privilege of living in a shared broom cupboard. Therefore my advice would be to spread your net a bit wider, cclepak. What about Indonesia? Malaysia? Or mainland China?

4. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

HK is amazing, and expensive. I do believe that you can be happy there without being on a corporate expat salary and/or the highest paying schools. We have friends who have just finished up 4 years there at a lower tier school and managed to live well and save some money. In their case it was helped by living in the New Territories but it seems that there are some ways to it if you do not insist in living in the most expensive areas.

5. clovispoint

clovispoint Occasional commenter

Hong Kong is great and I can see why the OP wants to come here; Search Associates is very good option to get exposure to a lot of schools. Keep an eye on the big English school's website as they advertise throughout the year but the main round is coming up. Hong Kong is expensive but the salaries are significantly higher to balance this out. As a percentage, I save less of my salary here than in other overseas schools I have worked in but I save more in cash terms. You will spend it all (and more) if you live the high life but you can have a great time and save by taking a bit of care. Life here is safe, easy and as hectic or as relaxed as you want. Work is demanding but I'm okay with that.

6. kellyluise

kellyluise New commenter

It's easy to save even if you live in central Hong Kong, I don't work at a top tier school either and support 2 people on my wages. Search Associates seems to be where most people get their jobs from that I have spoken to [other than the big English school brigade]. Lots of local schools look for staff on TES too- though life there will be different to working at an international school. But you would still be living in HK. So the decision is yours.