1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Headteachers to be given the power to hire unqualified teachers, paper suggests

Discussion in 'Education news' started by stupot101, Mar 17, 2016.

1. stupot101

stupot101 Established commenter

Yes, I know it's the Torygraph, but....

2. stupot101

stupot101 Established commenter

3. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

To be followed by unqualified pilots, surgeons, doctors, nurses, barristers, dentists, plumbers, electricians and university lecturers I presume

Idiots
    Utter, utter idiots.

4. lunarita

lunarita Lead commenter

Politicians don't need qualifications and look at the pigs ear they make of everything.

It's not really something to emulate in teaching.

5. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

download-8.jpg

Mr Fluffy preparing for his observation.

He heard teaching was going to the dogs and just was not having it!

SportyK, pixiepeach, Alf58 and 7 others like this.
  6. Maths_Shed

Maths_Shed Occasional commenter

So the advice to anyone contemplating a PGCE this year would be not to bother as you will receive no income, pay course fees and rack up a load of debt whilst those starting next year won't?

7. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

I wonder if this will allow schools to replace qualified teachers with TAs ?

8. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

No. This is simply replacing self assessment. They will still have multi year allocations, but more to SCITTs in the 'red' areas.

The biggest thing to note is this...

All overseas countries and international schools insist on the pgce and the QTS. And sometimes even more. Not one, not none, but both and sometimes thrice.

If you hanker after a life in the sun you will need to be a teacher.

If not, then a life on the gradgrind acadamill is yours.

Landofla, Shedman, wanet and 3 others like this.
  9. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Thought they already had?

cissy3 and delnon like this.
  10. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

So there we have it: Wilshaw's "golden handcuffs"
    But without the gold.

Godmeister likes this.
  11. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

'Aspiring teachers will essentially join a learner drivers-style process where they show their worth before formally qualifying, allowing for people with subject knowledge to become teachers.'

Learner drivers never drive alone until they have passed their test. When having formal lessons, they are in dual controlled cars, so the damage they may do can be easily prevented. So will all these learner teachers always be working in tandem with a 'proper' teacher until they 'pass the test'? I doubt it.

'For example, 'talented' musicians, historian or scientists will be allowed straight into classroom without training after government announces teachers do not need to complete a qualification which up to now has been mandatory in many schools.'

An assumption that all that is needed to be a good teacher is subject knowledge. It may be important in secondary, but for lower primary other skills are more important. Put a 'talented historian' in front of Reception and see them struggle!

Landofla likes this.
  12. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

cissy3 and chelsea2 like this.
  13. Caligraphy

Caligraphy Occasional commenter

If they are "unqualified", they are not teachers, anymore than a person not qualified to look after your body would be a Dr, or someone unqualified to fly an airplane would be a pilot. Here's a thought. In years to come, Dr's, pilots, nurses, midwives, solicitors and so on will have been 'taught' by people who were not qualified. Society is going to hell on a cart.:(

delnon and emerald52 like this.
  14. Godmeister

Godmeister Occasional commenter

And who on Earth decides what 'talented' means? And why would a 'talented' musician/historian/scientist/whatever suddenly decide to leave their, I would presume given that they are talented, glittering career to be abused by the ridiculous education system we have?

This is such nonsense thinking from the government.

Oh but of course, if someone has subject knowledge then automatically they don't need training to be a teacher because magically they will have all the skills necessary to get a group of 30 14-year olds on a Friday afternoon to pay attention and produce A* standard essays every week. It's easy if you know facts and figures! Why didn't the teaching profession think of this earlier? What a bunch of silly people we are! ;)

delnon likes this.
  15. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Now that there will be no parent governors the parents will only know what the head wants to tell them. If he/she never mentions that unqualified teachers are being employed the parents may never know.

16. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

It's not just in primary. It's in secondary too. I've known plenty of teachers that were great at their subject but useless in the classroom, and those with 3rds that were great.
    Unqualified teachers are a pain for qualified ones. You just end up having to do their job for them in the hope that they pick it up eventually. Some do. Some don't.

Landofla and delnon like this.
  17. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Told the guys today, your cohort will be the last cohort who can leave the country and work abroad. Without the pgce and the QTS you will be trapped in the country. Trapped in English academies.

18. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Its nothing new, untrained teachers (ie cover supervisors) took over many supply teachers' roles a number of years ago and now its the turn of contracted teachers.

The unions did nothing about it and people didn't hold strikes to protect their professional status. As a consequence Teaching is no longer a profession and training is no longer required to do it.

Does that mean CPD is no longer a necessity or will that remain a nice little earner for Education consultants (ie retired SLT)?

Landofla, vinnie24, Shedman and 3 others like this.
  19. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I have no PGCE and was able to get a secondary teaching job - I did have university and EFL experience, along with a PhD. Did the Assessment only route to QTS, but had to have someone take a risk on an unqualified 'teacher', but I was lucky and worked hard. My 'equivalent' NQT or GTP-esque year was hard, but I survived and am now really enjoying teaching in my lovely new independent! It may be because my subject is very niche (Classics), but I do know others who have entered teaching through non-tradional means from industry,etc. Not all unqualified are useless.

CWadd likes this.
  20. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Having a PhD (and therefore a first degree) and achieving QTS through the assessment route does not make you unqualified, you are as qualified as the next person.

The idea that experts in a subject would be allowed to teach it even without a teaching qualification isn't such a bad one (although having a teaching qualification would be better). But such expertise would require an appropiate salary.

Call me a cynic but I believe the rational behind hiring unqualified teachers is to save money. Anyone who does not hold QTS or equivalent is therefore an unqualified teacher (in the same way I'm an unqualified jet fighter pilot) and therefore eligible to be hired as one. They do not need to have subject knowledge because they will just be delivering a pre-prepared "off the shelf" lesson. Assessments can be computer generated and marked.

Don't believe it will happen? It already has.