1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Headteacher time?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by aaronj, Feb 6, 2012.

1. How often do you see your headteacher during the school day?

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Too often!

3. Hardly ever. She spends all her time staring at the computer in her room, usually with her door shut!

4. Some days loads, others rarely. On the rare days he is usually tucked up in a nice warm office. When not out on a course, which is at least once a week!

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

How many times?

The exact same number of times that children fight over scissors/I'm doing something I shouldn't/ the lesson is going decidedly pear shaped/I'm swearing in the staffroom/etc etc.

Varies really.

6. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

My HT has a (friendly) walk round the classes most days, and is there inthe mornings to greet parents when they bring their kids into class (KS1). We have a quick briefing every morning which he leads, so it would be very unusual if I didn't see him at least twice during the day.

7. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

LOL thats exactly the smae number as me! But also when I running to a lesson late, photocopying outside the room (it is right outside my door to be fair) or gossiping to a teaching assistant, while the children are working!

8. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

We are only a one form entry primary so ours normally manages to pop into every class at least once a day, just to see what everyone's up to. Not checking up on us nor any form of formal observation, I hasten to add, just to see what's going on and what children are learning and always enthusiastic, friendly and full of praise.
    She spends relatively little time in her office and has an open-door policy when she is in there.

9. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

a couple of times a week or so - we're a partnership school.

10. Grandsire

Grandsire Senior commenter

About twice a week, plus a few assemblies and the weekly staff meeting. Some weeks not at all. He's out a lot at meetings furthering his career and "networking". If he pops in to the classroom, he usually brings the lesson to a halt by expecting everyone to stand up, but it doesn't happen very often, thankfully. If he's in, his door is usually closed because he's got Important Visitors Who Cannot Be Disturbed, so I've stopped sending my pupils to see him with good work - it's too disheartening for them to be told to go away and try again the next day... and the next day... and the next day...
    My previous head used to visit classrooms even less frequently, but would be on-site pretty much most of the day, with his door open if you wanted to pop in and have a moan or send kids to see him for praise (being quite a gentle person, he wasn't very good at the general telling-off). I found that kind of comforting, and feel a bit lost now without a reliable Presence On High!

11. She sounds ideal. Our Head is rarely seen. Groups of children can be seen creaping around the corridors with a photo, a magnifying class and a camera to capture the moment when the great spotted head as come out of their shell.(office). My head doesn't have spots nor a shell but is rarely seen by the children.

12. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

All the time, he is very present around the school, in a good way!