1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Headteacher Suspended for admitting some teachers are not working

Discussion in 'Education news' started by ridleyrumpus, Jun 26, 2020.

1. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Speaking as the parent of someone who was furloughed for 6 or so weeks (now working at home), can I point out that they never asked for this and (in this case) feel their mental health has been adversely affected by being forced to stay indoors with no work to do. If they had just been made redundant, they would literally have had to be searching the streets of London looking for cash in hand work to pay their rent.

agathamorse and Rott Weiler like this.
  2. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

I'm self employed and haven't been eligible for the government grant you describe . Not that the furloughed and the self employed are relevant to this HT's unprofessional conduct.

agathamorse likes this.
  3. mrajlong

mrajlong Senior commenter

Neither was my missus and we have lost thousands because of it. I also know plenty of people who are loving being furloughed. I am sick of teachers being berated during lockdown more than most professions (except the police atm)!!!

Valid point. I also worry for people who will now have to go back to a very stressful job and the effect on their mental health after having months of reflection (and recovery). Definitely winners and losers during this pandemic :)

agathamorse likes this.
  4. install

install Star commenter

It’s another wind up imho :rolleyes:

ilovesooty likes this.
  5. FriarLawrence

FriarLawrence Senior commenter

Why TES haven't banned the troll yet is quite beyond me.

6. thin_ice

thin_ice Occasional commenter

Yep. And the mods had a go at me for making a forceful point about this type of poster.
    Interesting discussions on other (non TES) forums about sponsored flaming accounts being shut down. Twitter as an example. Makes you wonder.

blushingberry and agathamorse like this.
  7. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I wonder where @GreenTrees123 has gone.

strawbs, agathamorse and ilovesooty like this.
  8. gainly

gainly Star commenter

I think you should just make fun of them. I find it quite entertaining.
    You could also ignore them and so not see their posts.

9. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

10. gainly

gainly Star commenter

Disappointing progress; they should be at least head of OFSTED if not secretary of state for education by now. They seem to have all the required qualifications i.e. a complete ignorance of education and contempt for teachers.

11. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

On, yes. Education really needs your help. Maybe get yourself down to Sunderland and help her out, if she is still in post?

agathamorse likes this.
  12. Mrsmumbles

She probably works for the Wail as well. Shame on Schoolsweek. One can onLy assume their editor was off sick and their staff were being REALLY lazy and could not be bothered to do any proper journalism. Don’t worry. Boris will hire them later....

agathamorse likes this.
  13. Mrsmumbles

Yes, but thankfully they were not. I only tutor now, I don’t even teach full time any ore, yet my workload has doubled. Kids suddenly impatient and rude online whereas never to your face in one to one, Parents demanding far more ‘extra’ than the historically accepted paid hour.fBlooming emailed task after emailed task midweek. Zoom chat alerts. Moaning about nit getting Zoom links in time. Hours of extra prep as perfectly fine printed handouts need scanning, embedding and sharing. Ridiculous agencies like TH now deciding to alienate their existing teachers by adding a 25% fee on top of fees, trying to drive down the fees we charge but actually just forcing parents to do local online searches and find tutors for their kids direct and agency fee free. A level kids offering dubious eleven plus tuition services. Bonkers. Oh and all the housework, cleaning and other local duties for older relatives and neighbours to fit in. If you are lucky to still have the work, it is still hard going and still uncertain. Then, just as you have adjusted, some moronic parent phones repeatedly demanding if you can ‘make an exception for little Johnny and coach him face to face.’ Unbelievable! The entire country has become selfish, moany and tunnel-visioned, including moi.

agathamorse likes this.
  14. Morninglover

My daughter doesn't work in education - she works in the holiday/leisure sector. Now she's back working from home her job is to do with sorting out refunds on holidays that have been cancelled - hopefully you'd agree that this is quite useful? (The alternative is that the people don't get their refunds - at least not yet...)

In education (as far as a retried teacher like me can judge) a lot seems to depend on how well sorted out the school/academy trust is. If you are working for agencies, then I'm sure some are better than others. Maybe focus on the best ones in future?

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  15. botanybod

botanybod New commenter

Well she's just admitted that she can't manage her staff properly in a public forum, so I'm not surprised the governors are miffed. If she does think she has staff sat at home doing nothing, why hasn't she given them something to do? Even if they're not in school, there's plenty to do from home. Even if she's then not happy with what some staff members are doing, addressing that in public is inappropriate and unprofessional. I'm very glad I don't work for her!

16. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Along with @a1976 who has disappeared. Maybe he has finally emigrated to Skegness as promised

strawbs and agathamorse like this.
  17. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

I am a big advocate of honesty and transparency. If the head had lied and said everyone was working hard to keep things going, some staff/parents/governors who knew it was a lie would hold the head in low esteem. If, at a later stage the school is failing badly everyone knows where the fault lies and do not need the head to disclose how bad it was. So long as no was personally named and shamed I think being honest mitigated against being accused of hiding the truth from those that had a right to know.

18. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Whose truth though? A head saying what they think and a head telling the "truth" may not be the same thing. I recall a head who thought that some of the teachers who worked 60 hour weeks were "LAZY" because some of their colleagues were working 80 hour weeks and were therefore getting more done. Is that truly laziness?

19. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Star commenter

She could get the message across without having to potentially bring her school into disrepute.

Besides, you nor I know why she was suspended.

agathamorse likes this.
  20. Morninglover

How many HTs actually 'know' how much each teacher is working? I've known a few colleagues who worked longer hours, but did less because they wasted time, whilst others who worked ferociously and got a huge amount done in a much shorter time. Often Hts judged according to whose car was last to leave the car park, or who could be seen late in the day in the staffroom.

So saying what she said may have had little to do with 'honesty' and a fair bit to do with 'prejudice' or 'assumption'.

drvs and agathamorse like this.