1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Headteacher Suspended for admitting some teachers are not working

Discussion in 'Education news' started by ridleyrumpus, Jun 26, 2020.

1. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Star commenter

But, but OUTSTANDING!

if you have access to the times have a read at the comments but wear some all weather clothing first...

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  2. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Lots of teachers have been working very hard on things they were never trained for-lots of good teachers aren't IT savvy, some have risked their lives looking after keyworkers' children (without PPE). If she felt some weren't working, she should have dealt with that, rather than giving the public another reason to criticise teachers, and worry people at a time like this. Maybe teachers have been working on their grammar...anyway, who 'sat' them at home?

3. celago22

celago22 Established commenter

I agree with what she said because I know at my school some teachers are not doing as much as others. However, she is in charge and should have directed the teachers more.

4. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

"Head chef suspended for admitting waiters sometimes surly and deliberately slow."

christubbs likes this.
  5. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Maybe some are doing more than they should? Perhaps some have fewer responsibilities at home? Perhaps some have better IT skills and equipment than others?

Workers - and teachers are workers - shouldn't have to compete to keep up with those of their colleagues who have no life outside work!

6. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

What about this HT's actions?

Primary school head teacher threatens to cancel children's lessons over Zoom if parents don't stop SWEARING in the background
    • Pupils at a Bolton primary school told to stop wearing crop tops in online lessons
    • Head teacher Martin Johnson urges parents to stop swearing while on camera
    • Sacred Heart RC Primary School said it was 'protecting the dignity of all pupils'
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-lessons-Zoom-parents-dont-stop-swearing.html

nomad likes this.
  7. khib1

khib1 New commenter

There is definitely going to be much more context to this story. However most of the public will just see 'lazy teachers' and that will justify damning a whole profession. Well done Headteacher.

8. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

I agree, the fact that she was working notice smacks of an embittered member of staff looking back in anger. Had she been an effective Head Teacher her staff would not be sitting around doing nothing at home end of.

9. drvs

drvs Star commenter

That's happening at my school, but not because teachers are lazy. Some colleagues have been poorly deployed, some have been poorly managed and some are just hanging on to their mental health enough to offer a "basic" service - ask more of them and they would sign off which would be worse for everyone. It's complicated.

10. meggyd

meggyd Lead commenter

I wonder if she had had issues with the staff all along. So I am guessing no leaving party!

11. needabreak

Who knows, but if she had pre existing issues with staff they should have been dealt with in an appropriate and timely manner.

Unfortunately some people fail to deal with things preferring to leave it to their successor once they decide to leave, though we don't know her timeline we do know that as HT the buck stops with her and I know of no HT in over 20 years teaching who cannot deal with "lazy" staff, she failed to adapt to change and deal with her staff as a consequence.

ajrowing likes this.
  12. eleanorms

eleanorms Occasional commenter

In her fifteen years as an 'outstanding' headteacher she must have required her staff to sign a social media useage policy, which must have stated something about making no derogatory claims about staff, families, pupils or employers at the school. We've all signed one. Then up she pops on a radio station making unproven allegations about her staff. Only the daily mail commentating crowd cannot see that that is a disciplinary matter.

13. TheHeadteachersOffice

TheHeadteachersOffice New commenter

Headteachers and SMT members are often not subject to social media policies. They certainly should not be.

14. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

She's a regular contributor to that radio station.

She should, of course, be subject to social media policy and thus answerable in this respect to her governing body.

15. letap

letap Occasional commenter

This is utter rubbish. You would know this if you were a real headteacher.

16. TheHeadteachersOffice

Free schools operate differently- the authority of the head and SMT needs to be effectively absolute as they have such a wide range of responsibilities compared to LA run schools.

17. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

So do enlighten us... who are you answerable to?

In any case none of this twaddle applies to the headteacher in question who has quite rightly been suspended by her governing body.

18. TheHeadteachersOffice

Heads and SMT members are accountable to the directors of the company/charity that owns the school. Within that we have total authority so we can drive through innovation and change much more effectively.

19. needabreak

Presumably you can also act appropriately when you have identified or possibly even recruited "lazy" staff over time you were HT in the school not while serving notice to leave?

20. costermonger

costermonger New commenter

Absolute authority eh?!
    You utter tool.