1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Headteacher Retiring

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Zeeby, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Hi :) Was hoping for some help with ideas.
    Our Headteacher is retiring at Easter after 11 years being with the school. We have had a number of retirements or teachers moving on over the last few years so have had goodbye assemblies and children creating books etc. to mark their leaving. We'd like to do some really special things/assembly to mark the retirement of our head that are different from what we have done before. I would really appreciate ideas from others about what they have done to mark the retirement of their head. All ideas are gratefully appreciated - including things children have made or done and really, any other celebration ideas that have gone down well.
    Thank you :)

2. carriecat10

carriecat10 Occasional commenter Community helper

How about a 'This is your life' scenario? Could invite key people who have been involved in the school since the head has been there ... children could act out key events etc.
    If you have someone musical a song with specially adapted words always goes down well.
    Carrie [​IMG]

3. We cut up lots of different coloured about 6 by 6 squares and gave one to each child with needles and embroidery thread and buttons and pretty bits. then each child sewed random patterns or whatever onto the piece of material. TAs helped younger ones - as did the year 6 buddies. then we gave all the squares to a talented parent who turned them into a large quilted cover. We organised the squares sort of rainbow like. it looked stunning! All done in secret!
    For a card we gave a large page to each class. ecah child put their thimbprint on the page and then used pen to turn it into a thumb print person, then wrote their name and a little message. all the pages were made into a book.

4. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

When I left a school after 18 years service (though not as head!) we had an assembly where the Head interviewed me Desert Island Discs style. It gave me chance to talk about what had happened in those years and I was able to share some of my favourite pieces of music.

5. We collected old pics (graduation etc) to present, and put it on a slide show to music..we then sent him off in a helicopter (something he always wanted to do)

6. Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. Some great ideas to be thinking about :)