1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Headteacher made a welfare check and checked my home conditions!

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by JodiP, Jun 22, 2019.

1. JodiP

JodiP New commenter

Can anybody other than the police or SS conduct a welfare check and a visit to establish the condition of your home?

SAR revealing some very interesting information which explains why they were trying to bury this. Apparently, my head made a home visit to ‘establish the condition of the home and complete a welfare check.’ Wow. I am lost for words.

I was on my first day of absence of stress with no incidents or concerns at school. Never been any concern with my home.

Is this legal? I was told he was popping in as he was passing.

2. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

Is it possible that your head teacher was worried about you as you were absent due to stress? Maybe they decided to pop by to see how you were out of genuine concern. Not knowing your situation, this may be either completely reasonable or highly unlikely.
    That bit's a bit weird though.

3. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

There is nothing in law that says that they cannot visit you at home whilst you are off and you had the right to say no. They must have been really concerned about you and could have chosen to ask the police to do it.

4. nomad

nomad Star commenter

My goodness, you've had some difficulties over the past few years!I

HT visiting your home uninvited, being invoiced for not attending an occupational health interview, a malicious LADO referral, being horrendously bullied by pupils, an unfair reference...

At least you have a new job to go to.

Pomza, CWadd and notreallyme75 like this.
  5. Curae

Curae Lead commenter

Sounds really weird especially if you were off for oneday, Go and speak to your HT and explain why he did this
    It's really odd. Unless you really did go through something worrying that warrants it.

vickytoria likes this.
  6. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

When I was off with WRS and rang to say I wouldn't be in, the deputy head visited me at home - but she had asked if I would like her to, made it clear she wouldn't unless I wanted her to, and was very supportive.

7. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

It does sound weird - but so much depends on the school and circumstances which led up to your absence. If that happened to me and the HT said they were 'just passing and wanted to check that I was OK', I would know that was the case and they were genuinely concerned. But I think they'd probably phone first. When I was off with stress (not work related), all contact with school was initiated by me until I had been off for five weeks. I was phoning in every week. After 5 weeks, I received a letter (the HT phoned me to say the letter was coming) asking me to come in for a chat if possible. An appointment time was given. I went, and it was totally supportive.

Piranha and bonxie like this.
  8. JodiP

JodiP New commenter

Yup. This isn’t over the last few years, this is the last year! I described it the other day as like being in Alice in Wonderland. It’s bonkers. In 20 years of teaching I’ve never experienced anything like it. Roll on September and some degree of normality

agathamorse and DexterDexter like this.
  9. JodiP

JodiP New commenter

My head acts like he has more power than he has. He told me he was passing.,

10. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I'm not sure why you opened the door. I don't when people call unexpectedly...and even less so if I feel unwell.

NB Still don't think it proper for a HT to do so, BTW

11. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I think in one of your previous posts you mentioned some domestic violence in your past. If your head knew about this, maybe he was just genuinely concerned for your welfare. The fact that he recorded the visit (which is the strangest bit, really) perhaps indicates that he wanted some evidence that he had checked you were okay, in case it turned out that something had happened and anyone asked.

I know nothing about the rights and wrongs of his visit, but it might be an explanation.

12. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

HT was worried.
    Popped in.
    Thought it better to include it in the paperwork.

Basically what @frustum said. Doesn't sound terrible to me.

13. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

In October you posted that you had been referred to LADO due to domestic violence and in December that you'd been off for six weeks with stress. If the head knew you were off with stress, but there had been no incidents or concerns at school, then it would stand to reason they would be concerned about home.

The 'condition of the home' could just have been whether the were signs of significant violence and whether you seemed to be at risk.

You are signed off until the end of term and have a new post to go to. Maybe have a ceremonial burning of all paperwork relating to this past year and then relax and get ready to move on, putting all this behind you?

14. JodiP

JodiP New commenter

To some extent, yes, I want to forget all of this but I now have the minutes from the LADO meeting and they are awful. One lie after the other. It reads like something out of a women’s magazine! My worry is that this document exists - what if a child made a false allegation in the future and this came out?

15. CWadd

CWadd Lead commenter

If you are concerned about how the events of the last year will impact on your new job, talk to your Union or a legal representative.

Piranha and grumpydogwoman like this.
  16. grumpydogwoman

There've never been any concerns about me but I still have to have a DBS! You're not suggesting the HT has made inaccurate comments, are you?

The HT isn't part of all this. I think it must be hard to see the wood for the trees. If there are inaccuracies or lies then correct them. It sounds overwhelming but it's like eating an elephant. One bit at a time.

17. JodiP

JodiP New commenter

The head and HR have made a number of inaccurate comments. That is a fact. For example, they told LADO that I was hospitalised for an eating disorder in a hospital in Glasgow do that I could be near my children. 1. I have never been to Glasgow 2. I have never been hospitalised for an ED (I have been in community services but never hospitalised.) 3. I lived in London at that point so how would being moved to Glasgow mean I was near my children.
    This is one example of many

18. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I can understand you being furious and hurt. But, seriously, none of this matters.
    You have a new post...you were able to get this during a horrid year where things were going pear shaped.
    Hopefully that post will be one you choose to stay in for several years and then move on when all this is a distant memory.

Reading through everything that has been given to you as part of a SAR will not aid your recovery. You know where you have been working hasn't been great for you. You know the head isn't the person you thought they were when you accepted the post. But you have a chance to move on...please take it.

19. averagedan

averagedan Occasional commenter

Believe it or not yes he can.... He has a duty of care towards you and depending on the context may have been worried enough to exercise that duty of care with a home visit, talk to the police and ask them to visit, etc.. It might just be that he cares about you and as you have mentioned you have had a rather rough year.

20. grumpydogwoman

Well, I suppose you'll be challenging all erroneous statements so they should cease to be a problem.

Piranha likes this.