1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Headteacher Letter of Application

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by clarehw, Feb 22, 2007.

1. Hi, am starting to look for my first headship, and have just visited a school and decided to apply!!

It's a few years since I became a Deputy, and so am a bit unsure of what should be included in my letter of application, to make it more 'Head' than 'Deputy'.

Any ideas?

2. Hi, am starting to look for my first headship, and have just visited a school and decided to apply!!

It's a few years since I became a Deputy, and so am a bit unsure of what should be included in my letter of application, to make it more 'Head' than 'Deputy'.

Any ideas?

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Some people will say I'm being mean and unhelpful for saying this, but it's what I think.

Do you really think you're ready to take on the awesome responsibility of headship if you can't write your own letter of application without help?

4. I can see why Middlemarch said that, but I can also see why you might ask the question.

Anyone reading your application will obviously be able to tell that you're a deputy, so I don't see why you should sound like you ARE a head; only that you have the potential to BE a head.

Look at the National Standards and see how your experience to date compliments that.

Also, know the school you're applying for: visit, do research; personalise your application.

There are lots of threads about good applications that I've read on here. Just do a search.

Good luck - glad to hear that you're applying for headship: there seem to be few deputies out there who don't want to move on and therefore clog the system!

5. bed

bed New commenter

Sorry to be mean but Middlemarch is dead right.

And your letter should be so far removed from your DH application that asking what would " make it more 'Head' than 'Deputy'" shouldn't even be an issue.

I'm sorry to be harsh - but yo really need to sit down and have a think.

get the criteria in front of you and apply your mind.

I assume you've got the NPQH? Well the Standards for Heads are all in that !!
    Well you MUST have studied the recruitment bit to pass.

I'm sure that if you aply you brain to the task you'll be able to do it.

6. Oh come on! We all need guidance and assistance to know how to write this sort of stuff. My NPQH did nothing to assist me in writing these. What was far more use was the assistance of more altruistic colleagues who had done it before and were prepared to help me. After all I defy anyone to have not asked for assistance for writing the form for entry on to the NPQH! It doesn't indicate incompetence, just a willingness to admit that you don't need to know everything to be a head!

Clarehw: This is a copy of a comment I wrote on another thread in relation to this.

'Write your letter of application directly to the person specification. The shortlisting process should be a points scoring exercise against that. Make sure you can evidence ALL of the Essential criteria and as much of the Desirable. Even if it is a bit patchy make it sound bigger! If you write a generic one it may not tick all of the boxes. I did not get interviews for this reason. Once I cottoned on I got one everytime I applied.

I find writing it in the sections on the Person Spec helpful and use them as subheadings e.g. Experience, Qualifications, Philosophy, Leadership and Management etc. This means the people reading it can go down the Person Spec in order - make it easy for them to tick it and they will want to interview you. Remember most of the shortlist panel for a headship are non educationalists so you have to make it pretty obvious what you have done.

Lastly, if there is a gap on the form for a bit of extra info about yourself USE IT. Think of all those things you do outside of school that help you do your job. It shows you have a life, which is no bad thing!'

Hope this helps.

7. Marshall

Marshall Occasional commenter

Agree with MadPhil - everyone needs help and not to be judged by asking for that help. Otherwise - would anyone on here ever ask for help?

8. clarehw,

Look at the person specification and write what you have done based on that. The best information I had was address it in three parts, 1 - what you did, 2 - what you learned from it, 3 - what you would do in the new post. It's working for me so far, applied for posts, had interviews, but as of yet not appointed. Good Luck!

9. Thanks to those who offered constructive comments.I can see why middlemarch and bed made those points, but can't say that it was necessary! Personally, i think asking for advice is a little different is not the same as asking somebody to help me with my letter of application! To those that did make suggestions, thank you for your support.

10. No problem clarehw. Hope it all goes well! It's worth it when you get there!

11. littlerussell

littlerussell New commenter

Just as an aside, since many candidates will write to the headings in person spec, perhaps those who write them could get their act together and view them as a template for the letters of application they'd like to receive.

Assuming that the candidates want to know about my experience and the impact that I have made on schools, then the two I have in front of me at the moment hardly help.

One seems to be entirely based around an understanding of statutory requirements ...
    "Understands national legislation on child protection
    ditto Health and Safety
    ditto National Curriculum
    which, while relevant, do not exactly provide me with the opportunity to show how I have led and managed innovative projects across the authority ...

The second is five pages long, has 17 sub-headings, and the criteria listed under each repeat themselves frequently. The ability to analyse assessment data appears under seven of them ... do I write about it 7 times? Three of the sub-headings do not add a single new criteria, as the points they make have already been well and truly covered earlier on. Do I repeat myself? Ignore them?

These person specs are driving me mad, mainly because they are so badly written that they seem to require a badly structured response!

12. Perhaps you should reconsider applying?! If they can't get that right...!