1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Headteacher Leaving / Christmas Concert ideas

Discussion in 'Primary' started by crazystars, Oct 20, 2019.

1. crazystars

crazystars New commenter

Hi all,
    I need some inspiration! Our headteacher is leaving at Christmas and I wanted to somehow dedicate and link the KS2 Christmas concert to her but I'm finding it difficult to know where to begin!
    This year we will perform in church which basically means we can only do readings / poems and songs as there isn't much space for acting.
    Does anyone have any experience of having done anything similar in the past or does anyone have any ideas of simple Christmas stories that can be linked to moving on / new starts / saying goodbye??
    Thanking you in advance for any help you can give.

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Why?????
    Shouldn't a church based Christmas thing have more to do with Jesus, shepherds, angels and the like than the headteacher?

3. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

When I left a special assembly was held in school to which parents were invited. Each class did something and they ended by singing a song - I was asked what my favourite one was and chose Everyone wants to rule the world by Tears for Fears.

When the children were practising I used to sneak up to the hall door for a listen. Goosebumps time.

I left in the summer but in the last few assemblies I used to get the children to sing some of my favourite hymns and songs including Christmas ones.

I will never forget the look of pleasure on the children’s faces as we sang “The twelve days of Christmas” in July.

But if you are going to do the concert in Church then maybe ask the HT for a list of favourite Christmas songs and carols with a short explanation as to why they have chosen it - a bit like Desert Island discs and the children could read these out.

4. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

I think it will be quite tricky to link the Head's leaving with Christmas in church - good luck if you can find a way. I'd be inclined to have the church concert as it usually is, then have a special assembly on another day back at school. Each class or key stage (depending on the size of your school) could learn a song the HT likes, or one of their favourite poems. You can make a powerpoint of pics of special times. I know it will take some time, but shouldn't be too difficult.

5. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Services in churches remember all sorts of people don't they (and not only dead ones)?

6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Yes, but not generally as part of the Christmas carol service.
    I would be inclined to do this as well.

7. Josh7

Josh7 Occasional commenter

Mmm.

There is this one about a bloke and his missus who have to say goodbye to their friends & travel a little way for tax purposes, then they have a baby with such outstanding qualities that the head honcho in the area decides to kill it, so they head off, essentially as refuges to another country, making a fresh start there, carving (literally) a new life there.

8. crazystars

crazystars New commenter

Ahh that’s lovely. It sounds like your school gave you a great send off. Thanks for the ideas.

9. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Does the whole concert have to be linked to the head? I agree it would be a nice occasion, as presumably parents will be in the audience. Could you do the carol service as usual and end with a short speech about the head and sing a favourite carol of his, or use a familiar carol tune and rewrite with appropriate words.

10. crazystars

crazystars New commenter

We will do a special assembly on her last day but parents won’t be invited to that. Thanks for the ideas.

11. crazystars

crazystars New commenter

I hear what you’re saying but we use the church as a venue due to the school hall being too small for all KS2 parents.
    I think you’re trying to say stick to a Christmas theme and the head’s do should be a different celebration. Thanks - this is all food for thought!

12. crazystars

crazystars New commenter

I’d love to be able to do this but not sure about my songwriting skills! Thanks for the ideas though, this could be an idea I delegate!!

13. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Get the children to have a go. :)

14. Skychaserhigh

Skychaserhigh New commenter

All I would say is to make sure that you check that your head teacher is ok with having a fuss made. I would absolutely hate a carol concert to have time dedicated to me leaving. When I left my last school as head I made sure that the influential staff members - office manager, caretaker, DHT... knew I wanted no such leaving assembly and would prefer to sneak out with the leaving y6 kids!
    I did the end of year assembly, wished everyone well and left. perfect for me, perfect for the school.

15. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I do not see much of a connection between a Christmas Carol Concert and a headteacher who is leaving. But maybe you could dress him up as Joseph. Or maybe Herod.

16. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

But they could be, couldn’t they? If you can’t fit parents in the hall then maybe you can use the church again for your special goodbye Assembly.

17. TheOracleAtDelphi

TheOracleAtDelphi Occasional commenter

12 days of Christmas is quite easy to adapt e.g.

*School name or 'the children' if name doesn't fit
    In my last year of headship St James* gave to me
    12 governor's meetings
    11 break time duties
    10 morning briefings
    9 class assemblies
    8 missed lunches
    7 sets of reports
    6 parents' evenings
    5 fire alarms
    4 piles of marking
    3 Christmas shows
    2 Ofsted bods
    And a cup of cold coffee

Obvious, pick things that are relevant to your school and ideally funny moments.