1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HEADTEACHER INTERVIEW

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by mummydoug, Oct 15, 2015.

1. mummydoug

mummydoug New commenter

Hi all

Wondered if anyone has ever heard of an activity at interview called 'Teach the Governors'? I have to teach the governors a skill or activity. Not sure whether to do something based on what governors have to do (monitoring, etc) or whether to do something random?
    Anyone any experience of this?

Thanks x

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done on getting that interview! You have already impressed them!

Never heard of it! Here I am going to Phone-A-Friend, contacting a few wise colleagues. I hope that they hear the call!

I might be tempted to teach them the difference between Leadership and Governance, to keep'em out of my hair after I'm appointed, but that might not be such a good idea!

I think that you have to make the decision yourself on what to do, starting from what your desired outcome is . . . and this may not actually be learning and progress.

But then again, it might!

I should imagine that your choice of topic will be part of their assessment.

Now for some general interview advice.

Warning!

I have created links to these articles, but have not yet been able to go into them all and check/change any internal links. So some internal links may no longer work on nu-TES.

Help, I've got an interview! *** The basic advice ***

Teaching an observed lesson at interview

Using mind-mapping for interviews *** The best-loved advice ***

Tell us about yourself - dream or nightmare question?

Daft Interview Questions

What shall I wear to the interview?

Interviews – making a positive first impression

How do you decide who to appoint?

What excuse can I give for going to interview?

Child Protection: the questions, NOT the answers

A typical Child Protection Policy

Two interviews and a dilemma

Interview feedback - they blamed my experience, but they knew that when they shortlisted me!

SLT interviews - possible questions

In-tray exercises. Deputy Head

Assistant Head interviews

General interview questions

Questions to ask at the end of your interview

I have included some articles that may not be relevant to you, for the benefit of anyone else reading this.

On Old-TES we had a very nice tradition that when you actually got a job, you started a brand-new thread (not adding it to this one - a brand-new thread) where you told us your good news. You call it Dear Theo - I got that job!and this gives everyone a chance to congratulate you. It also gives them hope and inspiration for their own jobseeking, to see you successful.

If you see one of these threads, make sure you congratulate people!

So I will end by saying that we look forward to seeing your Dear Theo - I got that job!

Best Wishes

3. mummydoug

mummydoug New commenter

Thanks for your help- this has got me a bit stumped

Your other articles are really useful- thanks so much.

x

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You will be no more stumped than the other candidates - a very level (cricket) playing field!

;)

Best wishes

mummydoug likes this.
  5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I don't think it matters what you do - it's HOW you do it that will win you (or lose you) points.

mummydoug likes this.
  6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Update:

I have now revised, re-formatted and renewed the links on all the interview articles quoted above, so all should be fine.

They are gathered in what is called the Professional Advice Hub, but as they are not currently in a clear order, it's best to use the links I have given you.

Best wishes