1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Headship vacancy

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by dizzymai, Jan 2, 2020.

1. dizzymai

dizzymai New commenter

Hi TheoGriff and everybody,

I have seen a Headship that has come up today and I would like to apply for but it has a short application window (closing date 17.1.20). The job doesn't start until September. Any ideas why it would be so short? It also is only advertised on county pages, not TES or eteach. I'm concerned that it might be earmarked for an internal candidate.

Thanks for your time

2. 50sman

50sman Lead commenter

If you don’t apply you will never know!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

The only people who can answer are the ones advertising!
    There's a lot of buzz around of "internal candidate lined up" but any sane set of governors will appoint the best applicant. You can only find out if you are the best by applying.......
    And by the way I know of a DH asked to apply by the governor's who wasn't even shortlisted!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

It is quite normal, where plenty of notice has been given, to have a January advert for a September vacant headship. I applied for one myself and was interviewed and appointed in the first week of February to start in September. You’ll never be sure about the internal candidate issue until the day and they still might not get appointed. I’ve lost out to one a couple of times. That’s how it can be.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I would have thought nearly 3 weeks is quite a long window for submitting an application. Plus any existing Head applying would have to give 2 terms notice, at least in my LA, so the sooner the appointment the sooner there could be room for negotiation for that 2 term's notice, if needed for a current Head.

Apply if you feel the job could be for you and, being currently on holiday, at least you don't have to try jiggling an application with actual teaching.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

They don't actually have to advertise if they are convinced that they have the right candidate, but they would be mad not to, so don't rely on that.

Do you meet the person specification requirements? Have you done a rough E.S. to see if you can prove it?

Can you remember my applications advice? If not, have a search on Amazon to see if there are any books on Applying for a Teaching Job for immediate download to a kindle, or a kindle app on phone, tablet or PC, and choose one with good 5star reviews.

N.B. I don't come on here much, so probably not a good idea to rely on me seeing your Hi Theo at the top!

Best wishes

@Theo_Griff on twitter

dizzymai and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  7. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

The 'an internal candidate will get the job' argument has been discussed on TES countless times and almost everyone with headship recruitment experience agrees it's not usually true. As a Chair of Governors myself, with a lot of headship appointment experience, I can say we have never appointed the internal candidate.

Of course there will sometimes be governors who think the sun shines from the internal candidate's backside and appoint them anyway, but really it isn't as common as external candidates often think.

Yes governors know the internal candidate - that also means they know their weaknesses only too well! And very often what governors want is a change, a fresh perspective, to move the school forwards. not 'more of the same'.

TheoGriff, dizzymai and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  8. dizzymai

dizzymai New commenter

Thank you everyone!

I have arranged a visit and I'm starting to fill out the application, with a racing heart and nerves all a flutter!

9. dizzymai

dizzymai New commenter

Thanks TheoGriff! I remember the days when we had to say Dear Theo to get a reply from you. I'm behind the times! Hope you are well.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

@dizzymai

Those were the days when I used to spend 3-4 hours per day, per day, answering on the professional forums, and there were lots of people who knew that and posted their queries.

Nowadays I reckon the professional advice forums have nearly died.

Good luck, let us know how you get on, and I hope you found a helpful book or two on Amazon by someone you know and trust.

Best wishes

lizziescat and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  11. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

12. dizzymai

dizzymai New commenter

Thank you TheoGriff!

I remember when you were a man!!! Gosh, it took my by surprise when you did your big reveal. What a shame the forums are not like that anymore. It was very useful.

My application is in and I will now wait and see what happens.

Sundaytrekker and Lara mfl 05 like this.