1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Headship interview

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by kelwat, Jan 16, 2016.

1. kelwat

kelwat New commenter

Hi, I've been shortlisted for my first headship interview next week. I'm an internal candidate and other than what I can find on Google, I have limited knowledge of the various tasks and interview questions they are likely to give me. I would be grateful for any help/advice, particularly from others who have also been internal.

Thanks

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done!

Very well done indeed.

The main advice to internal candidates is simple: pretend that you are external.

So when you are with the other candidates, and all through the day, do NOT act as though this is your school.

And when in the interview, do NOT think I don't need to tell them that - they know all about me, they know what i do. oh YES you DO need to tell them, as though you were in a different school and they didn't know you. Underselling yourself is a common issue for internal candidates.

As for interview advice, here's your weekend homework! These are the interview advice articles from the Professional Advice Hub. I've included some which are not relevant to you, for the benefit of other readers of this post.

3. Preparing for Interview
    I suggest that you read these in this order

Help, I've got an interview!*** The basic advice ***

Teaching an observed lesson at interview

Using mind-mapping for interviews*** The best-loved advice ***

Tell us about yourself - dream or nightmare question?*** Read and note this ***

Daft Interview Questions

What shall I wear to the interview?

Interviews – making a positive first impression

How do you decide who to appoint?

What excuse can I give for going to interview?

Child Protection: the questions, NOT the answers
    A typical Child Protection Policy

Two interviews and a dilemma

Interview feedback - they blamed my experience, but they knew that when they shortlisted me!

SLT interviews - possible questions

In-tray exercises. Deputy Head

Assistant Head interviews

General interview questions

Questions to ask at the end of your interview

On here we have a very nice tradition that when you actually get a job, you started a brand-new thread (not adding it to this one - a brand-new thread) where you told us your good news. You call it Dear Theo - I got that job! and this gives everyone a chance to congratulate you. It also gives them hope and inspiration for their own jobseeking, to see you successful.

Make sure you congratulate someone when you see a thread like that!

So I will end by saying that we look forward to seeing your Dear Theo - I got that job!

Best wishes

kelwat likes this.
  3. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

Good luck!

kelwat likes this.
  4. kelwat

kelwat New commenter

Just a quick update....I didn't get the job :(
    I'm not sure how I can go back in school and hold my head up, especially as I'm acting head till the end of the term. How can I have any credibility in the eyes of pupils, parents and staff? This was one of the reasons why I contemplated not applying.
    Has anyone got any advice because I'm in bits right now?

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Oh dear, I am so sorry for you.

And not getting any internal post is horrid, but not getting a role when you've been Acting Up is awful. Just awful.

But that's enough sympathy - sympathy is the very worst thing for you. So make sure that (a) you don't seem to be asking for it (b) you don't accept it.

Of course you are feeling very down indeed. But - and this is where you show that you ARE worthy - you have to go in tomorrow, and the moment someone mentions it, and especially if they say how sorry they are, you respond We have a fantastic new Head coming in - it will be just great for the school and all of us.

You can then smile and walk on, don't get involved in any conversation or discussion apart from that one sentence.

Just have that one mantra, so that people see that you are on the side of the new Head, which is, of course, the one thing that you MUST be. 100% loyal and supportive, right from tomorrow morning.

They will respect you for that.

Loyalty to the new Head is the best way to play this. Never, ever, let that fail.

Best wishes

marlin likes this.
  6. kelwat

kelwat New commenter

Thanks for your comments. I would never dream of not backing the new head. It's not her fault she was appointed - I'll do whatever I can to make sure the transition is smooth.
    It's just incredibly difficult and I feel I have no option but to move on - not out of spite, but just because I feel completely devalued and my confidence has gone. I wish I'd never applied but I wouldn't have been able to live with myself if I didn't and somebody unsuitable was appointed

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Head up high tomorrow, and say your bit loud and clear, don't let anyone be sympathetic.

Best wishes

kelwat likes this.
  8. John_in_Luton

John_in_Luton Occasional commenter

Don't make decisions about your future until enough time has passed for you to have some perspective on events. The confidence will return when the wounds have had time to heal a bit.

kelwat likes this.
  9. kelwat

kelwat New commenter

That's really good advice. I've had a tentative look around to see what's out there but my confidence has taken a battering, so I'm not going to rush into anything.

As time passes, I'm beginning to think that this may have been for the best anyway (or maybe I'm just kidding myself). Onwards and upwards I suppose.

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

[​IMG]

Best wishes

kelwat likes this.