1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Headship - how do you know you are ready?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Samcro, Dec 26, 2015.

1. Samcro

Samcro New commenter

I know that this really is an unanswerable question but... How do you know you are ready for promotion? (in my case headship).

Over my career, I have been key stage leader, senior teacher, acting assistant head teacher, assistant head teacher and now deputy head (with some acting headship in between). There is a position coming up in a few months for a headship position - I am considering it.

I know I can do the job, I know so much about the school and staff and children already (I work closely with the staff there now as it is our partnership school). I feel ready.

I guess the question is what if I don't like it? What if it turns out i'm no good? My current school and position i'm in is fabulous, I really enjoy it - what if becoming a head teacher didn't suit me? A secondment would be perfect!

If i'm questioning myself now, should I take that as a sign not to apply?

I really don't want to make a decision that could unsettle so many people (school, staff, children, parents, my family etc etc). How do you know if you are making the right decision? (Nothing to say i'd get it anyway!).

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well now . . .

When you were in the Acting Headship - how did it go? Did you feel confident? Did you wish that they hadn't asked you to take over? Or satisfied with what you were accomplishing?

As Deputy Head - how do you feel? Do you ever feel that you would like to be doing what the Head is doing? Or glad that you are not?

Do you feel that you have a vision for the school and a commitment to the pupils - and staff and parents?

Have a look at some person specs and job descriptions for Headships. Do a rough E.S. * and see how you line up against their criteria.

No, not necessarily. I believe that most of us have our moments of doubt!

So start thinking through the E.S. *

Best wishes

*E.S. No idea what I am talking about? :)

Why you should always include an E.S. in an application

Step-by-step: How to write an E.S. *** More basic advice ***

Executive summaries - where to start when no person specification

Person Spec too long - how do I do an E.S.? And where do I put it?

3. Samcro

Samcro New commenter

Thanks TheoGriff

I have used ES many times in applications before (varying responses but on the whole positive :) ) It is certainly something i'd do again and have recommended to others to use.

Acting Headship was only for a term but was fine. I often act up in the absence of my current Headteacher and have no worries about doing this. I have learnt an awful lot from my current Headteacher and when I think about it more deeply, I think it is a sense of loyalty which is stopping me, recruitment of any staff in our locality is very difficult and I would feel like I'm letting her down.

I know whatever position I undertake I'd do the very best I could, I know deep down i'd make a good headteacher and i'd always do my best by the children (that's what I came into this profession to do and I can't imagine doing anything else).

The job hasn't even been advertised yet - maybe I should just wait, see the job spec and go from there (and stop over thinking things!).

Thank you again TheoGriff.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Sounds to me as though you are ready to go . . .

This is going to be my one contribution to the teaching profession.

:D

Best wishes