1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Headship and NPQH

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by izzywhizzal, Oct 11, 2015.

1. izzywhizzal

izzywhizzal Occasional commenter

Has anyone undertaken NPQH whilst in post? I guess it is best avoided? I've been accepted for NPQH. How heavy is the workload during the 6-18 month training period? I am ready to move on a Headship post and want to apply if I see a desirable post advertised but I'm guessing that I'd be better off getting NPQH completely finished first! Any thoughts appreciated...

2. stephaniem22

stephaniem22 New commenter

I completed my NPQH last March and started applying my first headship positions after I had been successful in going onto the last stage, the final assessment. Looking back, and thinking about my first post now, there was no way I could have studied and been a new new head at the same time. You also need to set school improvement in your own school, and a placement school and show impact from that too so being in between would be difficult! I would do one or the other. I actually really enjoyed my NPQH and would recommend it when in a stable position.

3. izzywhizzal

izzywhizzal Occasional commenter

Just as I thought, but nice to have it confirmed! Thank you.

4. Schoolcoachguru

Schoolcoachguru New commenter

Most of our clients do it BEFORE applying for a Head's post

5. popaws

popaws New commenter

Hello.
    I have just been appointed HT at a school and still have one or two NPQH tasks to complete before Final Assessment. I have found it to be an excellent course and there is no way I would have had the knowledge, clarity or confidence to apply for a headship and to be successful without it.

However, I do think it is possible to do both. Identifying school improvement priorities is easier when you have been encouraged to consider experiences/examples outside your immediate environment and the placement school work can be fantastic. Yes, it is a great deal of work, but it fires you up even further and is another opportunity to forge strong networks of support from people in similar situations.
    Go for it!

6. dianehistory

dianehistory New commenter

What is NPQH?

7. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

National Professional Qualification for headship. It used to be compulsory for new headteachers but it no longer is.

8. lot80

lot80 New commenter

I have just complete my Npqh whilst being an acting head of school and teaching year 6 and I found the workload really tough. However, I did have lots of opportunities of doing jobs that really helped with my tasks.